digital converter for tv

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
frhrwa
Location: Eastern Washington (state) and N. Las Vegas (winter)

digital converter for tv

Post by frhrwa »

how do I figure out which antenna I need to operate one of these converter box's..? I looked at the list, seems thats where they make their money since they give you a deal on the converter box? Must be one of those sales schemes?
JESUS”…… don’t leave EARTH without HIM!
Janitor Tzap

Re: digital converter for tv

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Ok frhrwa,

We need to find out a few things first before settling on the type of Antenna your going to need.

1) Go to http://www.tvfool.com and get a signal chart of your local stations.
This will show what direction the transmitter towers are from your location.
As well as the kind of signal strength you can expect.

2) Are you setting up an indoor or outdoor antenna?
If your more than 20+ miles away from the transmitter towers.
You'll most likely need a outside antenna, or an amplified indoor antenna.
Note: an outside antenna will almost always out perform an indoor antenna.

3) Best signal reception is (L)ine (O)f (S)ight; LOS.
This is where you have no tall buildings, trees, or other large structures blocking the signal.

4) The higher up the antenna is, the better.
{Well, sometimes.....}
Some people have reported that if they went to high, the signal degraded.
But, 25Ft from the ground seems to be the standard that most go by.

5) Cabling & Connectors.
RG-6U Cable, and Compression type Connectors are the standard that most installers are using.
But you can get crimp on connectors, or already made up cables to use.

Follow these rules, and you shouldn't have too many problems. :roll:

Signed: Janitor Tzap
goingjag

Post by goingjag »

To some degree you can try the trial and error method. I live on a hill but I am still in a signal valley due to surrounding hills. So a proper HD antenna, positioned outside my 3rd floor, powered, amplified and coaxed gets me 3 stations.

A friend put his old uhf rabbit ears on the top of his desk inside, 2 feet from a window, and picked up 16 stations. When he replaced the rabbit ears with a proper indoor hd antenna, I had difficulty telling the difference. He said the rabbit ears would sometimes have drop out that the HD antenna did not have.

As pointed out in the earlier response - location, location, location will help determine what you need/will get. If you have an old house like mine, a simple thing like old leaded glass can cause problems with signals.

Good luck.
charistian

Re: Audio/Visual installation

Post by charistian »

Hi everybody,

Are you looking for home theater installation? Then your search end here. Recently I got a wonderful service provider for installation. You can get easy installation of you Home Theater, Plasma Television or LCD Television. They have specialization in the installation of IPTV, devices, LCD TV's, Surround Sound Systems and Plasma TV. They mount Plasma/LCD HDTV on wall, on ceiling, above fireplace, on brick or stone wall. For more information you my visit my signature link.

Hope this will help you.

Enjoy!
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

Hey charistian,

Will you stop spamming this forum? Where's you spam buddy, marianis_meggy?

Perhaps the moderators could contact your "signature" spam address and see if they have an advertising budget for paying Nuts & Volts or Servo Magazine for this intrusive ambush advertising.
-=VA7KOR=- My solar system includes Pluto.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Will you stop spamming this forum? Where's you spam buddy, marianis_meggy?
The scam is not to get us to use his link but to get the google bots to see that supposedly forums and newsgroups are linking in so as to increse his page rank.

Since installers are inherently local companies, posting on an international forum is .... well whatever