Is a Data Lojack Telemetry readable ?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
moe

Is a Data Lojack Telemetry readable ?

Post by moe »

Is is possible to read the data burst on a Lojack signal? These past few days been getting a lot of hits on this frequency. Has anyone tried this?
Thank You Moe... :???:
haklesup

Re: Is a Data Lojack Telemetry readable ?

Post by haklesup »

As far as I know, LoJack recieves data (supposedly from a sattelite) and once activated emits a ping. The cops track a signal but its not carrying any data.

lojack preceeds by years the newer and more accurate GPS based trackers like Guidepoint which use the cellular network to exchange data 2 ways. I don't think it's like an activated phone connected to a GPS reciever, it must operate at a lower level in the cellular network not actually having a phone number but still having an ESN

Each system has its weaknesses. Lojack can't tell you where to look, you need specially equipped police cars with an antenna array to hunt down the stolen car and not every city has one. The GPS based systems I think have better coverage and faster location assuming the vehicle is not out of the cellular network range or blocked from GPS reception. Both systems have blind spots.

If you have been getting hits from a lojack transponder, that means a stolen car should be nearby. If there is data in the signal, its an otherwise meaningless serial number.

When they install these systems they say its in a hard to locate spot in the car but I found mine within 1 minute in an easy to get to spot. It's best to not put the sticker on the car advertizing it is installed. It just tips them off to look for it and deactivate it sooner than later.