Out of era out of mind?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
L. Daniel Rosa

Out of era out of mind?

Post by L. Daniel Rosa »

I'll try real hard not to rant too much.

Just yesterday I went to get some floppies to make a boot disk from, the the clerk swiped the box across the magnetizer. I pointed at the warning label on the counter and he realized what he did, but sakes alive! That kind of carelessness on autopilot shows up everywhere. I don't think it can all be attributed to magnetic media being yesteryear's technology- never mind that he probably doesn't know how the tags work.
psycho

Re: Out of era out of mind?

Post by psycho »

I can see that happening. You know, there are some youngsters that don't even realize that before CDs and DVDs, there were, in fact, audio tapes and disks that were prone to bad effects from magnets. I don't know how old the clerk was but it is understandable... I would think that they don't sell very many floppy disks anymore. Not to mention that the clerks most likely don't pay any attention to what you buy. They are more like robots - beep - beep - beep. There are guys that get embarrassed buying "products" for the girls in their life... I would bet 90% or more of the time the clerk doesn't even notice it.

Just my nickle,
Kevin