crystal rating

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
chessman

crystal rating

Post by chessman »

Here's a simple question, I should know this, but alas, I do not:<p> How do you read the frequency of a crystal? I have a TON that are M1600KJ9, and I'm guessing 16kHz? or is it 16MHz?? I don't know......help!<p>By the way, they're just normal crystals, not TTL clocks or the like.<p>~Kyle
haklesup

Re: crystal rating

Post by haklesup »

It can't be 16kHz since the lowest frequency crystal I see in catalogs is 1.0MHz or 1.544MHz and the highest is around 150MHz<p>If the P/N were to be interpreted as 1600kHz then that would make it 1.6MHz which dosen't seem to be a common value in these same catalogs. Most jump from 1.544 to 1.8432MHz.<p>16MHz is a very common frequency. You probably have these. Any idea who the manufacturer is?
chessman

Post by chessman »

Thanks for the reply.<p>I don't have any idea who the manufacture is, the only labling on the crystals is M1600KJ9.<p>I guess if all else fails I can put them in a circuit with a PIC that generates a one second pulse and calibrate it for a 16MHz crystal, and then try it with a 1.6MHz and check to see which is more accurate.
chessman

Post by chessman »

Still wondering what speed these crystals I have are.......M1600KJ9<p>Thanks,
~Kyle
L. Daniel Rosa

Post by L. Daniel Rosa »

Did those come in a 6" cubic box? If so they're 16MHz (fundamental). I'm sorry I didn't make a note of it.
chessman

Post by chessman »

Yes actually, they are those you are referring to. 16MHz it is then...good!<p>Thanks for all the help
~Kyle
Dimbulb

Post by Dimbulb »

I may have a crystal checker lying around somewhere.
chessman

Post by chessman »

Really....what does it do? email me....