Denver Info

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
keithd

Denver Info

Post by keithd »

I will be travelling to Colorado in a few weeks and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for techie things to see or do.

ie: Before they closed it, I used to check out Boeing Surplus sales anytime I was in Seattle. Also, any trip to Seattle or Vegas includes a stop at Fry's.

Since I haven't found a "travel guide for the techno-geek", I thought someone on here may have some info on places that might be of interest that don't make the usual tourist info sources.

Thanks in advance,

Keith
haklesup

Re: Denver Info

Post by haklesup »

Not sure about electronics in Denver but the Museum of Nature and Science has some of the best Fossil, Dinosaur, Mineral and Metiorite collections in the world. For rock hounds, Denver is Nirvana with more small shops (outside the city in the mountains) than one could count.

www.dmns.org

It does suffer from the "Childerns museum" syndrom somewhat but not as much as some like the useless Exploratorium in San Francisco, which is more like a Chuckey Cheeze with a college education. You got to go to London to see a real old school museum IMO.
Michael Kaudze
Site Admin

Post by Michael Kaudze »

http://thefabriclab.wordpress.com/

Also check out the Aquarium and the Botanic Gardens... Last time I was there I remember those being the highlights of my Denver trip.
Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change. Stephen William Hawking.
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Here's the Colorado Computer Museum.
http://www.trailingedge.org/

Also, here's what I got on a google search.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&clie ... f&oq=&aqi=

Hope that helps you.

Signed: Janitor Tzap
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

Take a trip up north of there to Ft. Collins and take a tour through WWV/WWVB -- that was some kind of a "mecca" for us as kids, especially after it moved from Maryland to Colorado.

Although not tekkie, the Denver mint is a good tour. And it's fun to just go up into the foothills and pan for gold.

Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
keithd

Post by keithd »

Thanks for your suggestions, so far.
I will have to see how much I have time to fit in on top of the stuff already on the agenda (ball game, etc.)

The mint was already tentatively on the list.

Fort Collins is already a stop to do the Budweiser tour and I have been planning to find some time to slip away from the gang I am travelling with to drive the the WWV site. (The rest of the group does not seem to have the same affinity as I do for RF and guy wires) As far as I have been able to find, tours are not available but I thought I would like to check out the antenna array - and be able to say that I had been there.

Keith
jwax

Post by jwax »

Budweiser? Then you have to give equal time to the Coors brewery in Golden! It's impressive, technologically speaking, of course! :grin:
While you're at it, there's Coors Ceramics in Golden also.
WA2RBA