an electronic device that would blast their music

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
haklesup

Re: an electronic device that would blast their music

Post by haklesup »

I think Extranet's link was an FM transmitter and CaeSar was talking about audio noise cancellation. I think noise cancellation is a dead end. Even headphones are not 100% effective and they only have to cancel noise in a very small sealed area. Even if you could cancel noise it would be only for a smallish target area and outside that would be ineffective and maybe worse with your and his speaker screaming.

Come to think of it, noise cancelling headphones might be your only legal and non intrusive solution.

The FM transmitter might actually work. You don't need so much power as to blank his radio out, just need to add enough static to make him turn it off or to a station you like better. A small unit that the one in the link would have a limited range but it sounds like you might be less than 100 feet from his tuner. OTOH, if hes on the other side of his house not listning, the static will just make you more annoyed.

A spark gap generator is exceedingly simple and can be made with just a relay and battery and would ruin the AM band for many yards away and may effect the FM band, I' not sure. Wire the coil in series with the NC contacts and battery. As the relay energizes, the NC contacts open and the relay de-energizes again. as the contacts open and close, a spark is formed. The more current, the bigger the spark. Get a relay with a low coil resistance, dry contacts and a big battery and your in business. IT won't last forever though, the arcing will ruin the contacts reletively quickly. By then you can design a more reliable one based on a spark gap and tesla coil if it works.

Clearly time for you to take up an very obnoxious outdoor hobby. Ever consider metal working and sculpture. Maybe a weekend business doing Auto body work. Maybe learn to play the trumpet or drums. Got kids, get them drums or an electric guitar. Play along with his music and see how he likes it then. Use air tools and keep the compressor in the back yard. Get into wind power and build a rattley windmill. Go off grid and run a generator 24/7. Then when he complains its "I'll stop if you do"
Externet

Post by Externet »

Volter wrote:So, Externet, your suggested kit is based on what CeaSaR proposed? This kid would need 2 mics and speakers to make it to work, correct? Actually I would need some big amp as well!? It is getting into $$$ too much!?
I do have this boombox made by Bosch for construction workers but I get to the point where I have enough of that noise and go inside the house and shut all the windows and doors even then I can still hear that moron but not so as much.
I might build some kind of sheet metal around my box to look like megaphone and see what that does.
Thanks.
No, you would need no microphones nor speakers using that gadget on the link. Nothing else. The gadget would blank their receiver as its signal strength would be higher than their tuned station; making no noise at all as there would be no audio modulation.

Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Actually Volter, I think the best option open to you is to research the Zoning laws of
your township/borough/city. Somewhere in there should be a section on noise, what
constitutes noise and how to measure it, and which type of noise applies to your location.
Check the law books of your municiplity as well. Many times there are time limits to how
long or late noise (music if it fits) is allowed. If need be you could measure the SPL at
various spots to see if they comply (Radio Shack carries a meter for about $50
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2103667), you should video
the readings if they exceed the level along with the date and time. If you are doing that
within your property or within the public right-of-way of the road or on the sidewalk, they
cannot stop you since it is either your own private property or public property. Then you
could present your case to the authorities with confidence.

If that doesn't pan out there are nuisance laws and harrassment laws too, but I would
ask a law professional before before undertaking these steps.

Another thought is recording the offending noise, preferably with a Station ID in it, either
audio, but video might work better, and sending that to the station stating your problem.
They wouldn't want to get caught up in some sort of bad publicity and might offer some
sort of help.

Best of luck,

CeaSaR

PS - Don't forget to make copies of everything! Wouldn't want all that work to disappear.
Hey, what do I know?
k7elp60

Post by k7elp60 »

This company has some interesting devices that may be of help.
http://www.amazing1.com/ultra.htm
Robert Reed

Re: an electronic device that would blast their mu

Post by Robert Reed »

k7elp60 wrote:This company has some interesting devices that may be of help.
http://www.amazing1.com/ultra.htm

These devices are indeed interesting, but do they work? Early on in my "Noise Revenge" research, I had visited their site. But doing a little math showed something wasn't right as to their claims. As to their high powered unit and based on the assumption, that these individual speakers are run of the mill Peizo tweeters, this is what I came up with:

Peizo tweeter - 95 db SPL (SPLs are rated with 1 watt inputs)
8 piezos in parrellel = 9 db gain
This total now produces 104 db SPL at 1 watt input to each speaker
We now have 104 db SPL with 8 watts into the array
To reach the stated 140 db level, we need to boost that amount by 36 db
To boost 8 watts by 36 db would require an amp with that amount of gain
and capable of producing 32000 watts [4000 (36 db) x 8 watts ]
And heres the best part - all of this from an 18 watt source (12v x 1.5amp)

These figures even amaze myself so I may have slipped a decimal place some where and would welcome others comments.
I would love to purchase this kit and see how its done, that is if I had a spare $300 to blow.
jwax

Post by jwax »

I've built the "Phasor Blaster Pistol" from Amazing1, and have to say that it is impressive in its output. There is some hype in their ultrasonics claims like "blows holes in metals", which, like most ultrasonic cleaners, will punch tiny holes in aluminum foil, but the pistol will impress you with its effects.
I can't vouch for their sound intensity measurements either, just know that you'll turn heads for a hundred feet with the pistol. In a contained space, that's going to have an effect!
As an aside, Alfred Loomis studied the effects of ultrasonic energy on living organisms- in the 1920's. Found it could kill animals! Have to wonder what equipment he was using back then.
WA2RBA
Volter

Post by Volter »

Thanks guys for all the support and the ideas. I’ll look into some of these ideas and see what I can come up. I just hate to be annoying moron like he is. Once it is quite I kind of give up on going after bozos like him. It is interesting to have someone like this dumb head living in our area, most of the time you meet this type of behavior in poor areas or apartments where people are not very much educated and intelligent and have no respect, somehow this idiot was able to get into suburbs where he really does not belong to!
Thanks much. :mrgreen:
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

John
As to "As an aside, Alfred Loomis studied the effects of ultrasonic energy on living organisms- in the 1920's. Found it could kill animals! Have to wonder what equipment he was using back then."

In my prior web search, I came across one site that featured a device the military was working on. It was an extremely high powered ultrasonic device that had to be mounted in a 10 ton truck bed due to its weight and power supply. This was intended to flush out enemy troops at 100s and 1000s of yards away. It was said that in less than a minute it would drive a human being totally insane! Wish I could locate that site again but it has been too long ago.
Do you think you could share the print of your "Blaster" on this forum. Would be very interested to mull over it and compare notes to my own endeavors in this feild.
jwax

Post by jwax »

Robert- Here's one company that builds the "L-RAD", although I'm not sure if this is the ultrasonic acoustic weapon, or just directed, focused audio for crowd control.
http://www.atcsd.com/site/content/view/37/47/
Here's a picture of the "Phasor Pistol Blaster" board:
Are you looking for a schematic too? It'll take a little digging to find that, but it's around here someplace.
WA2RBA
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

Yes, a schematic would help me to analyze their design and see what they did to acheive the power levels they claim. Would be very interested in that. From the pix it looks like a stepup transformer is involved and possibly a semiconductor device mounted on a heat sink. Then an 8 pin IC maybe used as an oscillator-modulator. Beyond that I can't tell much.

The web site pictures sure look like the device I was referring to but the details at that time were top secret, so nothing technical was printed.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

I seem to remember a previous thread about radio stations being replaced by signals coming from the FM modulators built into certain models of Sirius or XM radios with stronger than usual modulators. The FM transmitter has the best chance of disrupting the music before it gets to his radio. You should be able to replace it (the offending honky tonk station) with anything you want (I'm tempted to get creative here and recommend some material, perhaps a self improvement lecture). With adjustable power output and close proximity to his reciever, you should be able to minimize effects to other neighbors. Its probably also possible to boost the output of a common iPod style FM modulator to do the same task. Likely only need a higher power transistor and a bigger battery voltage and a little electronic surgery. Some modulators let you select any station others are fixed or switchable to only a few at the low end of the dial

http://forum.servomagazine.com/viewtopi ... s%E2%80%A6

The ultrasonic nausea generator on that link I have seen featured in a news story. A liquor store (or convenience mart, I forget) owner used it in front of his store to get rid of loitering kids that were scaring off legitimate business. It's impreceptable if only exposed for a minute or so but becomes very annoying if in the presence for more than 5 minutes or so. The loiterers had no idea any electronic device was used and never looked for a source, they just became uncomfortable and left the area. This won't really help with the music but it will return the favor. There does need to be a clear line of sight as high frequency sound is easily blocked by objects. Its very effective against younger persons but older people with less hearing acuity might be deaf to it.

THe truck mounted ultrasonic weapon was the first generation of the one now in production and popular with cruise lines for fending off pirates. Some riot prone cities may also have aquired them
reloadron

Post by reloadron »

Years ago I worked under DoD at the Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point NC in an avionics van complex. We had a single radio receiver and music was piped throughout the complex. We had a Master Sergeant and a young woman Marine who favored country music. I am not a great fan of country music. There was a local FM station right there in Havelok NC that we heard day in and day out.

Now those who are Master Sergeants are generally admin types as was this young woman Marine. Read into that no technical savy. :)

One trick I loved to do was take a Tektronix TM 500 series pack with a SG 503 little signal generator and tune it to the frequency of the FM station they loved. Just a simple AM signal generator worked just fine. Consider the sensitivity of a basic FM radio receiver. :) My antenna was a paper clip plugged into the center of the BNC output on the signal generator. Nothing modulated and nothing fancy but the receiver would just have a dead carrier signal. We would sit back and laugh as the top (Msgt) would screw with that receiver.

Then we discovered something even more fun. The receiver had AFC. We would do the same drill and when the receiver locked onto our little signal we would slowly raise or lower the frequency and the AFC would track it. Then just turn off our carrier signal and poof, the receiver would just sit there till the top retuned it.

You really don't need much. The SG 503 at full output would deliver about 5 Volts into a 50 Ohm load so open circuit with a paper clip it worked fine in metal van enclosures. I would venture a guess any signal generator covering 88 to 108 Mhz capable of 0 dbm (1 mW) would do fine with a short piece of wire for an antenna. Flea power but close to a sensitive receiver.

Another evil thing I did as a kid was when I was 13 and just got my first ham ticket. That was in '63. One Christmas the neighbor kids got a set of Walkie Talkies (Those old crude Citizens Band flea power units). I had an old Knight Kit signal generator. Matter of fact it still exist today in my mothers basement. Anyway they were out on the street playing with their new toys as I sat there running 400 Hz modulation and tuning the old Knight Kit to those 27 MHz frequencies.

I really am evil at heart.

Those early days of my ECM learning curve. :)

Ron
sofaspud

Post by sofaspud »

You could bring da Big Guns to the fight... passdiy.com/pdf/KleinHorn.pdf :evil:
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Hacklesup,

Is the teen deterrent (>this one<) or (>this one<)?

Sofaspud,

Ooohh, I want a pair of those!!!!! (drool, slobber....) :mrgreen:

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
Volter

Post by Volter »

I was looking at CeaSaR’s and Externet’s ideas, what it would take to implement this noise canceling device or back feeding the noise using mic, amp and speaker? How big would have to be the device, the range here is about 100 or so feet. It does not have to play music it could just make whistling noise like the feedback in music does.
How does the feedback work in music? If you stand in front of the speakers or radio with a mic transmitting same signal it will whistle due to the same frequency generated between the mic and speakers!?