an electronic device that would blast their music

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Volter

an electronic device that would blast their music

Post by Volter »

We have a moron neighbor across from hour house that plays their musing out loud every weekend. We (I am sure everybody else in the neighborhood as well) cannot enjoy the outside like the backyard playing or dining or anything else without constant listening to their loud music! On top of that they are in their garage (opposite side of the house) with the back deck door closed so they do not have to listen to it!?
We have called police to resolve this issue but the officer told us that as long their music does not sound like a low altitude flying Jumbo jet they can play as much of it as they like.
We are enduring their arrogance of their loud music for the last 10 years! We live in HOA of HRCA but they are bunch idiots who does not do anything about it!
Is there an electronic device that would blast their music off without sounding like low altitude flying Jumbo jet? Their house is one story above in the ground then ours.
:evil:
Externet

Re: an electronic device that would blast their mu

Post by Externet »

You will get responses of the ethical aspect too, but staying in the technical approach; I would set a microphone to pick the sound reaching your home and amplify it back towards them; then go to the movies. :evil:

Only if their music source is from radio you could do something more effective.

Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
Volter

Re: an electronic device that would blast their music

Post by Volter »

It is from a radio; sometimes it is this honky-tonky station KYGO or the elevator music KOSI 101.
Thanks much.
:evil:
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Sorry to hear of your predicament, and such a strange pair of musical tastes to see together. I know drunks love loud honky tonk but elevator music, I never heard of anyone liking that played loud. I've seen similar posts in the past and there is not much you can do that's not illegal in itself.

Interfering with the radio reception by putting out your own signal (noise or alternate programming) would be an FCC violation at least. But that is possible, easy for AM but also possible for FM. I don't know exactly how but it must involve getting an FM modulator, amplifier and antenna of some sort. It could get expensive. You might also affect other neighbors who like the stations and who listen quietly, you may also blast other stations you like. If they're doing it to spite you, the interference will only make it worse for you.

I hope you tried the asking politely route before calling the cops. Calling the Police probably made them strenthen their resolve to turn it up even when they aren't listning. People are crappy that way some times (even rational people don't like to be told what to do even if they respond to asking).

I might suggest this (even though it may not work) create a petition and have all those other supposedly annoyed neighbors sign it. Explain how it may lower their property values. Perhaps when that neighbor sees how many people he is annoying and how it makes them the hated neighbor thay might reconsider. (you might discover in the process, you are the only annoyed one) They probably don't care about you but they might care about the general opinion on the street. Send that to them and the noise abatement officer in your city (assuming there is one) With a sufficient list of complaints, the city may act anyway. Try starting a neighborhood watch, this may be the perfect forum to get neighborhood support and the attention of the HOA.

One last comment, you can sue anybody for anything if you care to put the effort and money into it. You may not win but a summons may be enough to get their attention after all the polite asking is played out. Heck, sue the HOA for not enforcing rules if you can't sue the neighbor, it will definately get their attention. Ask for damages in refund of their fees from the time you first asked for their help. It all depends on how mad it makes you.

It's a slippery slope. Rules like that must be enforced evenly and fairly. You can't say to one person don't do this every weekend and then let others do it periodically for parties etc. You proably can't force them but you can appeal to their decency (if they have any). Just don't let it escelate into a neighborhood war. Nobody wins those.
Volter

Post by Volter »

Thanks haklesup, we did, actually my wife did asked them 2 or 3 times before but it did not help. I have to admit, we are not very popular in this area, we are both naturalized, 25 years ago for me and 15 years ago for my wife. We do not have to do anything and the neighborhoods will throw apple cores on our front or throw something on our house or trespass or just plain complain about our backyard for whatever it takes.
I will not bother this site about it since it has not much to do with Electronics.
I appreciate very much.
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hi,

Actually i think this is a very good electronics question.
Get yourself a ham rig and aim it at their house ha ha :smile:
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Volter,

I had a friend who lived in a duplex with a similar problem. A teenage son was the offender when the parents were on night work. He mounted subwoofers directly to the party wall, cranked up the system one morning and went to work! The bleary eyed neighbors were waiting for him, apologized and agreed to correct the problem.

Legal or not is a decision you can make, but, Spark Gap Transmitter does come to mind since I once had problems with a local farm's electric fence creating ziggy-zaggs on TV. Don't depend on the local constabulary to assist. They can't even get real criminals to pay their dues.

Len
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

It's a shame these days that everyone want high power great sounding loud audio equipment but you just can't crank it up when you want to, unless you live on a farm. Everyone want the right to have quiet unless it's their own stereo equipment and their own taste in music.

Every building should have concrete walls, floor and roof. ....same with those annoying boom cars, concrete! :mrgreen:
-=VA7KOR=- My solar system includes Pluto.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

It's a shame you have so many trashy inconsiderate neighbors. Is your yard really that bad? or are your neighbors that much biggots? At least the noise is confined to weekend days. It could be much worse.
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

How about calling the local TV station and telling them your story. At least one
of "my" local stations has a segment of their news where they go help people
when all else fails. Usually this expose uncovers the injustice and surrounding
injustices. It should be only be done as a last resort.

I would think that you should have all supporting documentation; logs of when
the offenses occurred (to establish patterns), dates/times when you have
asked them to turn down the "music", logs of when the police were called and,
if possible, copies of the police reports, statements from other people who are
annoyed by the music, and anything else you can think of to document. The
name of the game here is to present your "case" so as to be the picture of the
innocent victim at their wits end.

Beware though, this can be a double edged sword. You can end up being put
under the microscope and dissected. Be absolutely sure you can weather the
storm that will brew if you take this course.

Good luck,

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
Volter

Post by Volter »

Well, our yard is very clean. I do not keep our trashcan in the garage since we do cook at home. It is just we are those damn foreigners and I do not necessarily let anyone just walk over me. This guy is the biggest bigot on the block, he looks like Glen Beck even Beck has good points sometimes. Our next-door neighbor and his direct backyard neighbor rather puts up with it because he hates as well and the other neighbor of us and theirs is a nice young couple but we do not know each other much since they do not live here very long (fifth owners) but I am sure they do not like it!

If you do engineering job then you do need quiet place, it helps you to concentrate and create better otherwise I do not think one can do much work! Also, hospitals expect you to be quite since it helps to heal and everything else, I believe in that very much!

Thank you guys!
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

You could always do a noise cancelling project, a couple of mics, run to a signal inverter,
out to some big amps and speakers located toward the offender so as to create a dead
zone between you and he/she/it. If all the neighbors did that, they wouldn't be bothering
anyone anymore.

Just a thought...

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
Externet

Post by Externet »

There is this gadget :
http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bi ... &key=FM10C
and many others on the net. Your decision.
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Signal jamming is nearly ineffective unless you have enough output to really clobber the station they like.
With same frequency jamming, simply changing stations on their side sends you off to retune again.
Maybe jamming at the IF frequency might work if you had enough clout. Unfortunately, enough power to jam anything also means affecting your reception and maybe many others as well.
If they change to CD's or XM radio you'll have a dust collector and the 'noise' will continue.
A friend had a neighbor that played deck speakers loud enough to hear them at their pool 100 feet away. He offered wire and help to extend them to the pool area. Problem not solved, but relieved.

Good luck!
Len
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
Volter

Post by Volter »

So, Externet, your suggested kit is based on what CeaSaR proposed? This kid would need 2 mics and speakers to make it to work, correct? Actually I would need some big amp as well!? It is getting into $$$ too much!?
I do have this boombox made by Bosch for construction workers but I get to the point where I have enough of that noise and go inside the house and shut all the windows and doors even then I can still hear that moron but not so as much.
I might build some kind of sheet metal around my box to look like megaphone and see what that does.
Thanks.