WIRELESS TV AERIAL

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
krolyat

WIRELESS TV AERIAL

Post by krolyat »

Guys, looking for a wireless tv aerial extension. I have an aerial socket in one room and a TV in another and cannot install a second socket for this TV , so is there a device that can be plugged into the existing socket and transmit wireless to the TV.
MrAl

Re: WIRELESS TV AERIAL

Post by MrAl »

Hi,

I have seen these long time ago so they must be around. Probably find one on the web.
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

I remember a product called "The Rabbit" that was/is a wireless repeater, I think on channel 3 or 4,
that would extend a cable box or VCR output for approximately 100'. Of course, the only thing you
could watch was whatever the original input signal was, not the whole spectrum of channels.

For example, you have 1 cable/satellite box for the "family room" and want to see the same channel
in the bedroom/kitchen/wherever, you would make sure The Rabbit was turned on and you would tune
in Ch3 or Ch4 on the target TV. If you wanted to watch another channel, you would have to go to the
family room and change it there.

If that is what you are looking for, then you can probably find something like that still for sale. If you
want full control of the tuneable spectrum, I don't know of anything offhand.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Yeah I've seen the "Rabbit" setup.
Unfortunately, the one I saw needed a two lead wire going from the transmitter to the receiver boxes.
There was a later version that used the electrical wiring in the house to connect them.

krolyat,
Is it really that impossible to string another wire, and put in a antenna jack into the room with the television?
If the issue is that your living in a apartment or condo that doesn't allow for renters to make any changes in there living space.
Then I can understand why you would need such a device.
But If this is your own home.
Then it shouldn't be that tough to route a wire over too the other room.

Signed: Janitor Tzap
sofaspud

Post by sofaspud »

Other than the "VCR repeater"-type appliances mentioned previously, I know of no such device which will do what you
want. Think about it... you're asking for a circuit that can receive the entire television spectrum and retransmit it
with equal amplitude across the entire bandwidth, roughly 54MHz to 806MHz (or 470-698MHz after June 12th). Quite
a task. I'm not sure it's even possible without military-style parts and military-style budget.
If you don't want to run wire to another room, you could place the splitter and wire outside under the eaves of your
house and enter through a nearby window. Or just get another TV aerial.

have to throw in this pun:
In your scenario, ghosting would probably be a real nightmare.
On all your TV sets in the house.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

These exist for the narrower bandwidth of cell phones. You could get little antennas that stick on the car window to boost the cellular reception inside the car. I, however, never really believed in these and saw them as a way to sell someone something they don't need because it looks like they need it. They may have worked mainly with the old analog phones anyway. More recently there are active mini cellular base stations that can act as repeaters for large buildings, auditoriums and tunnels etc.

If one could naively connect an outdoor antenna to say a 12dB gain cable amplifier and connect that to another indoor antenna and it actually did rebroadcast a broadband replica of the EM spectrum useful for TV, I would expect terrible multipath interference (ghosting) as the original signal fought with the new and delayed rebroadcast signal to be decoded by the TV. If this did work, its likely that separate UHF and VHF antennas would work best.

As pointed out by other posters, there are numerous ways to retransmit a single channel short distances from a tuner hooked to an antenna, cable or internet. In fact some of these are what the FCC refers to as low power analog TV stations (among other uses) that will not be turned off next week with the digital transition. considering that, the OP may want to wait until the transition date before implementing any solution, things will change in the airwaves on that day.

Here is more on the topic in the context of amature radio
http://www.repeater-builder.com/antenna ... index.html