Electronic Component Grab Bags

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Vincent

Electronic Component Grab Bags

Post by Vincent »

Where can I find something similar to this?

I just need a huge assortment of various transistors, capacitors, resistors, etc. I haven't done enough work to build up my own collection and it's inconvenient to have to go purchase the parts I need for every little project I do.

I think I've seen these before. I can't remember where that was, though.

Thanks in advance. If you have any used parts laying around, I'm interested.

<small>[ February 01, 2006, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: Vincent ]</small>
Chris Smith

Re: Electronic Component Grab Bags

Post by Chris Smith »

Jameco used to have one called "JimPack", try them. Type in Grab bag in the search engine, and at the bottom there is a transistor grab bag, as well as others.

<small>[ February 01, 2006, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: Chris Smith ]</small>
Engineer1138

Post by Engineer1138 »

Check around at the surplus places for parts bags. BG Micro and All Electronics used to have them. Also DigiKey and Radio Shack have resistor | inductor | capacitor sets, but they're expensive.

Here's what I did when I started going SMT (I already have a good collection of through-hole parts): bought bunch each of 330ohm, 1k, 10k, 100k, 47k resistors, 47pf, .01uF, .1uF, 10uF capacitors; handful of power HEXFETS (I use them more often than small bipolars or MOSFETs), handful of SMT LEDs and various AVR microcontrollers & crystals.
I take on enough small custom-design jobs that the cost of the parts pays for itself very quickly.

Also, when you start a project, always buy 3x more parts than you need. Typically the cost of shipping is greater than the cost of the parts, so it ends up being cheaper than buying more parts later when you run out.

If you have a specific need, I don't have a problem sending out a handful of parts under the 1oz limit of a first class stamp. Esp. if it's something I know I'll never use again like a high-speed video RAMDAC that's 10 years old ;-)
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

I recently bought an assortment of resistors from Unicorn. 10 each of every 5% value (thats over 1600 for well under $20). These were 1/4 watt values and individually bagged(each group) and marked by value. They also sell other components at comparable values. I used to nit-pic purchase a half dozen components at a time, but its a better value buying bulk even if I only use 10% of them. And ohh the conveniance of having them at moments reach. When I purchase ICs, for a project, I always buy in lots of 3s--one for proto, one for final and one for OOPS. There are many secondary suppliers on the web that offer these bargains, just Google up and let your wallet be your guide.
philba

Post by philba »

lots of good advice. also, check out ebay. there are a number of suppliers that sell kits of related components. I've bought from nightfire before.