no power = tun on

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
myp71

no power = tun on

Post by myp71 »

I would like a circuit for my solar panels that when the cells go dark (no power) it would turn on my fan using the battery power all the specs are on the solar power questions thread. Would you guys direct me in the right direction once again ?<p>I would like your advice on this though before pointing me the right way.Would this be the best way to make the fan come on when there is no power on the cells or somethin like a photocell would be better? I really don't think the fan needs to be on durning the day just at night so the cells have full power to charge the battery durning the day.
Oh, prob another biggie the circuit has to be very low power what ever it may be,unless it can run on the battery power soruce then it just needs to be low power and not very low power :D <p>
Thanks again for the great help
:cool:
ajc-28

Re: no power = tun on

Post by ajc-28 »

Suppose you have a normally closed relay contact with the relay coil operated by the solar panel voltage. When the solar panels are active the relay coil is energized, thus shutting off the fan. When the solar panels go dark the relay returns to its normally closed state, thus turning on the fan.
Bernius1

Post by Bernius1 »

I can't get this one out of my head.
A diode & resistor in series; as V increases, Vf on the diode stays the same (~.6V). So, a solar cell & resistor in series; as R changes , Iout changes (inversely), but Vout=Vr-drop. So, how do you place a near-zero ohm load on the cell, for full current out, but still float it above the circuit's Vmax? In a regulator, Vref is usually a zener. So, howzabout putting the solar cell above the zener? Or push-pull between two batteries? ( 6V batt 'A' + solar cell = 7.5V feeding 6V batt 'B', & switch back & forth) The problem is that all the boost ckt's use Vpeak waveforms that leave all the current in the 75% duty cycle UNDER Vref.
Can't we end all posts with a comical quip?
myp71

Post by myp71 »

Thanks<p>I'll see if I can find a low power relay and just might as well use that.<p>
As for post # 2 all I can say is :( <p>You know I'm thinking (besides me being a pain)is that maybe some kinda timer thingy would work better like have the fan come on at 4:00 or so Huh??? :D