How to start in creating electronics. books etc

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
mrathlon1700

How to start in creating electronics. books etc

Post by mrathlon1700 »

Hello Everyone Im new. I really into computers and anything to do with computers. But I would like to jump into creating electronics. I just subcribed to Nuts and volts mag.<p>So what books or web sites would be for a beginner.<p>I did get a older book for a few bucks called. "The art of electronics" But it's a little over my head. I need step to get to that book.<p>Also what equipment do I need to do kits and so forth? Chip programmer. I would love to create my own computer. Start at 1980s tech computer then up. Also any old or new computer kits.<p>Thanks<p>Casey
Who are you?
Mike

Re: How to start in creating electronics. books etc

Post by Mike »

hey, welcome to the electronics world.<p>the first book i read is avaliable at radioshack. its called Getting Started in Electronics. It discusses all of the types of parts, their use, etc. It also gives some circuits and stuff.<p>You will need a soldering iron (to get started, a $10 one from radioshack will work perfect), solder (about .32 diameter) and some copper perf board. That is a board with a bunch of holed in it and copper around each hole.<p>What kind of circuits are you looking to build? I could help you more if i knew what you want to make.<p>Check out my site, www.electronet.5u.com. It is still under construction, but has some nice circuits.<p>about the computer, there really arent any kits for them. You will have to collect the parts seperately. You will need a case, a power supply, a motherboard, processor, hard drive, cd/dvd drive(s), sound card, vid card, modem, floppy drive, monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, network card, etc. What type of computer do you want? Intel? Amd? pentium, celeron, athlon, duron, athlon 64, etc.<p>hopefully i haven't confused you.<p>if you have any more questions, just ask.<p>-Mike
mrathlon1700

Re: How to start in creating electronics. books etc

Post by mrathlon1700 »

Well I would like to start out simple and then go digital circuits. <p>I already know how to build computers. What I mean is I want to design a computer board. Kind of like the apple II. But different.<p>Thanks for info. Radioshack would be the place. :) <p>Casey
Who are you?