electroplater revisited

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
krautschmidt

electroplater revisited

Post by krautschmidt »

I have to control current density to 1/10 amp per square inch. I am trying to electroform copper on to non conductive materials to make jewelry. My platers are 3 amp and 25 amp constant current. I am advised by a seller of electroplaters that I need to buy one of theirs (with adjustable current)for $400.00 I hope to avoid this by adding a component to my own units. One is an Epsco 3 amp. The other is a Rey 25 amp. I have virtually no expertise in electronics. Please forgive what may seem to be woefully ignorant questions. Thanks
Chris Smith

Re: electroplater revisited

Post by Chris Smith »

krautschmidt<p>Its hards to tell with out the method of your system. A simple Variac might work on the input, a carbon resistor on the out put might work, or clipping of the AC voltage coming in via a Chopper also might work? Perhaps you should list the name and model and type so we can research it for you.<p>If you have a pulse plating system it should be fairly easy to cut back the current, as pulse plating is not susceptible to noise or ripple. <p>Its one big unregulated ripple and its priincipals are different than conventional plating. <p>However if yours is a straight DC type then it’s a little harder to control the current with out injecting ripple, more than the system can handle.<p>[ September 24, 2005: Message edited by: Chris Smith ]</p>
terri

Re: electroplater revisited

Post by terri »

I kind of figured you were really referring to current density, rather than merely total current into the cell.<p>If I may make a suggestion, you might find some very practical advice on what you are trying to do by contacting the printer at any major printing operation or newspaper. If you buy one of these guys lunch, you will probably get more information on what you are trying to accomplish than you will find in any books. The electrotypy printing process (which is very similar to what you want to do) is still used nowadays. You can also look up "electrotypy" in your search engine.<p>If I may make another suggestion: If you've been browsing this board, you may have noticed that in many respects, advice given by one of our self-styled Experts On All Things Technical Under The Sun And Some That Are In The Shade is sometimes suspect and subject to correction.<p>[ September 25, 2005: Message edited by: terri ]</p>
terri wd0edw