Perimeter Intrusion Detection

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
SETEC_Astronomy

Re: Perimeter Intrusion Detection

Post by SETEC_Astronomy »

haklesup wrote:I think you are in a very safe territory. Calss 2 lasers are considered generally safe requiring 10 to 15 minutes of direct unwavering eye exposure to cause limited damage. In my third link, it describes an experiment by a doctor who claims that red laser is considered very safe.

Furthermore, say that laser is 1mW (.001 J/s) and you are on for 200us at a time or 20ms per second cumulative. The exposure would end up being 0.2uW (0.2 J/s) a 10 second exposure would result in about 2 Joules of heat delivered to the eye which is about 0.5 calories which will raise 1g of water by 0.5C. I estimate an eye is 4-8grams (a wild guess) so you could only impart a tiny fraction of a degree of heating to an eye. Okay, so your not heating the whole eye but you get my drift.

With a class 2 laser, you should be on safe legal footing with 100% duty cycle.
Great news, glad to hear it. I'd never really looked into the various ratings of LASERs and the implications related to using them. I always assumed the cheapo red LASER pointers were fairly safe but never took it further. I was taught to not look into the beam and left it at that.

In the interest of I've got nothing to lose the drives are broken anyway I gutted two CDROM drives and extracted the LASER diodes to experiment with. I'm on even safer ground I believe as these LASERs were marked CLASS I and I'll still be pulsing them for ambient light rejection.

An exciting and fun project to deal with quite the opposite, thanks for the help and info guys.
jwax

Post by jwax »

Thermal heating of the eye is one consideration, the other being that a focused laser on the retina can cause very localized and permanent retinal damage.
haklesup- you sound like you may have taken the Laser Safety Officer course?
I'm scheduled for that in Las Vegas next month. :grin:

Two beams is definitely the way to go to minimize false alarms.
The only trouble with IR is they're a challenge to set up, since you can't see the beam without projecting it on an IR card, or using a video camera.
WA2RBA
SETEC_Astronomy

Post by SETEC_Astronomy »

jwax wrote:The only trouble with IR is they're a challenge to set up, since you can't see the beam without projecting it on an IR card, or using a video camera.
A fact that has become quite apparent. I first thought no big deal, I have a camera. Now i realize it's rather difficult to align a LASER beam while looking though a camera.