Is an old logic programmer worth keeping?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
lostgameparts

Is an old logic programmer worth keeping?

Post by lostgameparts »

Hi,

I had a guy give me a bunch of misc electronics stuff and in one of the boxes is an old Data I/O model 60A Logic Programmer and several thousand chips that he said could be programmed with it.

Now, I have no idea about anything to do with this kind of thing. :? The programmer did not come with a manual and I can't get it from Data I/O anymore. :x It does however, power on and seem to be operational. I did find a copy of the manual on Ebay for $50.

So my question is if this thing is even worth using anymore or is it just a high tech paperweight? I would like to learn about how it works and how to use it but I hate to shell out my hard earned money to learn how to use a worthless piece of hardware.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!
Andy
MrAl

Re: Is an old logic programmer worth keeping?

Post by MrAl »

Hi,

This partly depends on what chips you can still get to use with it and what you intend to build with it.
Even if it's an old thing, it may still work for your app depending on what you are building and what
its purpose is and what the target market is for this.
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
lostgameparts

Post by lostgameparts »

Hi,

Thanks for your response!

I really don't have a specific purpose in mind. I am not very "electronics savvy" and just like to learn as much as I can when the opportunity presents itself.

The chips that I have are ba14741 chips and like I said, I have several thousand of them. I found a data sheet here:
http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datashe ... 41_F.shtml
and it looks like a pretty basic chip but I have no idea what the programmer can do with it, or even if it is the right kind of chip.

Well anyway, I'll have to see how the money is before I decide to spend it on a manual! :grin:

Thanks again
Andy
sofaspud

Post by sofaspud »

Your BA14741 chips are quad general purpose op amps. A fine gift for future linear projects but of no use
with the logic programmer. Have a look at the Wikipedia entry for Programmable Array Logic. It will give you
some idea of what you're working with. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programmable_array_logic
The programmer burns logic gates into a generic device to create a custom function, using a hexadecimal
file provided by the user. PROM hardware, so to speak.
The programmer uses its own software from a ROM, and you should try to find what version you have.
Inside there should be an IC with a sticker on it showing the rev #. You need this information to accurately
determine what chips can be used by the programmer. Then you'll have to poke around the web for information.
lostgameparts

Post by lostgameparts »

So the chips I have won't work with the programmer. The guy I got this stuff from said that he wasn't sure about it. Well now I know what I have but I still need to decide if it is worth me spending any money to learn about it.

Thank you so much for the information.
Andy
mdnttrain

Post by mdnttrain »

Andy, I'd kinda like to learn about the Model 60 Data I/O programmer to see if I can get it to read some old PALs I have. If you decide to part with it instead of using it, let me know. My email's js [at] cimmeri [dot] com.

Thanks,
Johm
lostgameparts

Post by lostgameparts »

Hi Johm,

Unfortunately I did decide to part with it shortly after my first post. A guy offered me a trade and I took it. I hope you can find another one somewhere.

Have a great day
Andy