Surplus Sales

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
FOB

Surplus Sales

Post by FOB » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:26 am

The serious WEB surfers probably know this, but most of us "Hobby Grade" types may not, the U.S. Government runs an Ebay type auction site where they sell everything from electronic test equipment, to scrap B-52's. They charge sales tax (local-state), and don't deliver, but if you are within driving distance of a location (There are locations in almost every state) you can sometimes get a real deal. The address is: http://www.drms.dla.mil/ and it's open to the public. You may have to get an EUC (End-Use-Certificate) for some stuff you buy which means you swear not to sell your stuff to any foreign countries, but otherwise it's painless.

Dean Huster

Re: Surplus Sales

Post by Dean Huster » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:33 pm

Yeah, and you can get screwed by those EUCs, too. One guy I know bought a Hewlett-Packard 400E AC voltmeter from them, filled out the EUC and after it was in his posession for a few months, was notified by the U.S. Government that he had to return the meter because it was classified, or could be used by a foreign power, or some lame reason. An AC voltmeter! My gosh! He was advised to just tell the government that the thing didn't work and it was scrapped for parts. Last thing we need is to have a Habbi-Dobbi-type suicide AC voltmeter-er attack our embassy.

Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.

dacflyer

Re: Surplus Sales

Post by dacflyer » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:44 am

LOL. well hell what good is a terrorist if he has no power to blow himself up...