N&V files

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
bsparky

N&V files

Post by bsparky »

What application are they using for files in the N&V web. for files with the ext. *.sch such as the files for the led calculator in Jan.2005 issue?
Mike

Re: N&V files

Post by Mike »

.sch are schematic files. Try opening them with Eagle Layout Editor. www.cadsoft.de<p>Eagle makes .sch files, so it may be able to read them, assuming they were made using it.
philba

Post by philba »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Mike:
.sch are schematic files. Try opening them with Eagle Layout Editor. www.cadsoft.de<p>Eagle makes .sch files, so it may be able to read them, assuming they were made using it.<hr></blockquote><p>eagle isn't the only one that uses .sch for a file extension. I tried to open several of them with eagle and got errors. Maybe protel?
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

AutotraxEDA (not the old Protel Autotrax) also uses dot sch files for its schematics.<p>Colin
On a clear disk you can seek forever.
rshayes

Post by rshayes »

Practically every schematic capture program seems to generate a dot sch file. I believe that Orcad and Powerlogic also generate dot sch files, as well as Circuitmaker and the ExpressPCB schematic capture program.<p>You need to know which program generated the file.
claylj

Post by claylj »

The question is not what applications use the .sch file extensions, but which specfic application is bring used for the schematics in the Nuts & Volts archives.<p>I would think that either someone from Nuts & Volts or someone who has sucessfully opened these files could answer this question.<p>I too am awaiting the answer.
philba

Post by philba »

Agreed - regarding the original question. <p>With out libraries, I'm not sure any schematic capture would be that worthwhile. I know eagle has a pretty extensive set of standard libs but even then I seem to have to make at least one new part when doing a schematic. <p>The best would be a sch that works for <insert favorite layout editor> including library parts but a simple jpeg of the circuit would be almost as good and be usable by a *lot* more people.
stampee

Post by stampee »

Some of these files may be in ExpressPCB format. I am an author for N&V and I submit articles to them using this format. I do not know if other authors do the same thing or not. I was told to use expressPCB so I presume that other authors have been told this as well.
You may receive a free copy of expressPCB at
http://www.expresspcb.com/
Just so that you are not confused. ExpressPCB now has a seperate program called ExpressSchematic which is what is used with the .sch extension
-Kerry
bsparky

Post by bsparky »

Thanks Kerry it was ExpressSchematic :)