Question

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
cato

Re: Question

Post by cato »

I took a quick look and agree that D2 is shot. You can probably fix it by replacing D2. However, I have no idea which diode out of the thousands of diodes that are available is the correct diode to use.<p>That said, I would guess, and its just a guess, that the diode isn't too critical. Switching speeds and inductance and such things might be important. But if I couldn't find out what the right part number was, in your position, I might just try replacing it with any diode that is about the same physical size. <p>But first try to find the right part number.<p>Now.... How the heck did you get a gmail account. As near as I can tell they are not yet "generally available".
opac

Post by opac »

i could make out an 8 or a B as the last letter on the diode. could knowing that help finding the right one? anyone know what the correct diode is? and is it possible something else might be burnt?
opac

Post by opac »

and if you would like a gmail account, send me a pm with ur email address :)
Mike6158

Post by Mike6158 »

Any chance that you could get your hands on another one and open it up?<p>Ahh... Scroll back up to post number 11. paulrevelcet posted two schematics for gameboys and there are part numbers for the diodes.<p>[ January 22, 2005: Message edited by: NE5U ]</p>
"If the nucleus of a sodium atom were the size of a golf ball, the outermost electrons would lie 2 miles away. Atoms, like galaxies, are cathedrals of cavernous space. Matter is energy."
opac

Post by opac »

im looking at both diagrams and am clueless about where the part number is written. dont see anything written next to the D2... dont even know the format of the part number.... some help please?<p>http://www.devrs.com/gb/files/gameboy1.gif
http://www.devrs.com/gb/files/gameboy3.gif
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

gameboy3.gif, DC Convertor Board, D2 would be same part number as D3 - 155254. With it's position in the output of the switching supply, it is a fast, or very fast, rectifier. If it is this D2 that burned, then I would suspect AT LEAST two more parts are bad as well; can't say which from here.<p>If the D2 you're looking at is on the LCD board, then D2 is probably the 3.6V zener, and the LED is blown too. Though the 1K resistor should have prevented burning when they "went".<p>If it is D2 on gameboy1.gif, then there will be bad parts all over the place.<p>( Back on gameboy3.gif, isn't the 4X1.5V drawn in backwards? I thought the short line on the battery symbol was negative? )<p>If the switching arrangement of the power jack makes a short with no plug inserted, then reversed batteries would burn the 2S100A. If not, then the 100uF right of 1/2 Power switch was reverse biased and is now shorted.<p>Cheers and good luck,
Dale Y
cato

Post by cato »

Dale -<p> Does 155254 look like a legit diode number? I've never seen one that looked like that. I took a shot and tried 1N5254 and came up with this page:<p>http://www.americangaminginc.com/americ ... &linkid=53<p>which says a 1N5254 is a 27 volt zener.<p>Interestingly, the part listed above it 1N5248B
which ends with an 8 AND a B and is listed as an 18V zener.....which would be more inline with the -19V indication on the label on the LCD board in Gameboy internals schematic.<p>By the way, the D2 in question is on a board with CPU as part of the silkscreen ID number
Mike6158

Post by Mike6158 »

Is there any way that you can take a digital pic of the board and post it?
"If the nucleus of a sodium atom were the size of a golf ball, the outermost electrons would lie 2 miles away. Atoms, like galaxies, are cathedrals of cavernous space. Matter is energy."
opac

Post by opac »

if u check a few posts back, i sent my self a scan of the board. i tried taking a digital pic, but the board is way too blury.
gmail.com
username:gbhelp
password:helphelp
i think u need to download the picture to see it proberly, clicking on it didnt open it up for me.
Edd

Post by Edd »

I couldn’t confirm your photo info, by reason of not having Adobe Photo Shop on this site , but I will view later to at office site. The thumbprint photo possibly seems to show a red/orange circled area at the bottom left corner of the PCB just to the right of a mini mylar speaker , might that be the diodes location ?
None of the relatives/friends kiddos wacko units that have found their way to me have been the old generation units…all were the newer Advance AGB-001 series.
The newer unit probably still retains much in common with the older units.
I borrowed the closest unit from a kiddo a few houses away , which I had repaired his display on. Comparing its power path, the battery positive output goes to a surface mount 1 A fuse then to the aforementioned L1 choke/filter coil then to a PCB tab mount 100 ufd/4VDC electrolytic…designated CP1…then to a steering diodes anode ….( flat pack surface mount in the common 3 lead configuration typically used for transistors… but, with one lead being unused when used in this diode function )… part designator is M2W. The diodes cathode then feeds to PCB tab mount 100ufd/4VDC electrolytic designated CP2. Then the power goes on to supply the primary side of the DC/DC converter isolated power supply.
A curve tracing of the M2W diodes Vf knee reveals it to be a Schottky barrier device, only .156v drop , much in the order of a small BAT42 or a 1N5817; if in the larger, leaded, DO type of casing.
Sooo, you might still check the same components, L1 choke for being burnt open and the electrolytics for being shorted/leaky as I had mentioned before, as well as the known bad diode to be replaced. [With the exception of your unit not incorporating the protective in line fuse.]<p>Looks like there are 3 or more errors on schem3 reference. The mentioned omitted connector junction on the feedback loop wiring as well as that 100 pf cap being a 100 ufd electrolytic on the front power side of the steering/isolation input diode.
And yes…..as per Dale, the wide bar is the + indicator on a cell string in a battery.<p>The case screws are fast transverse self tapping units incorporating a tri tamper proof head. The use of a standard blade mini screwdriver can be improved upon by the slight taper filing of its sides down so that it will penetrate down deeper within the two channels of the three that it is pressed down into. In my case I have taken a scrap driver blade and used the thinnest Dremel cutoff wheel to custom fab a triangular” Phillips” from it.
Two more tips on that topic , a trace of lube on screws will facilitate their removal in the future.
When you reinstall , turn the screw CCW with a slight pressure til you hear a slight click as it aligns up with its initial groove cut in the plastic of its mount stud that it was initially threaded into. Then go on and tighten up normally. This way minimum friction will be encountered against your “improvisional” screwdriver AND the plastic post will not be further wallowed out in forming another threading race.<p>
73's de Edd
[email protected] .........(Interstellar~~~~Warp~~~Speed)
[email protected].........(Firewalled-Spam*Cookies*Crumbs)
:D<p>[ January 29, 2005: Message edited by: Edd Whatley ]</p>
Mike6158

Post by Mike6158 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by opac:
if u check a few posts back, i sent my self a scan of the board. i tried taking a digital pic, but the board is way too blury.
gmail.com
username:gbhelp
password:helphelp
i think u need to download the picture to see it proberly, clicking on it didnt open it up for me.
<hr></blockquote><p>I tried that. Couldn't get on. Probably my firewall or router has it blocked...
opac

Post by opac »

i had a problem when i typed the username and password and clicked sign in, it would say loading.... or something like that and just stop, refresing the page took me to the website. dont kno if that was the problem u were having.<p>these terminologies are a little to advanced for me, i think i do need to find some expert in my quest. i thought it would be simple as replacing a diode or something.... :( <p>btw, what kind of education do all u guys have?
im in first year computer engineering.
Mike6158

Post by Mike6158 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by opac:
i had a problem when i typed the username and password and clicked sign in, it would say loading.... or something like that and just stop, refresing the page took me to the website. dont kno if that was the problem u were having.<p>these terminologies are a little to advanced for me, i think i do need to find some expert in my quest. i thought it would be simple as replacing a diode or something.... :( <p>btw, what kind of education do all u guys have?
im in first year computer engineering.
<hr></blockquote><p>
That was the same problem that I had. I assumed that my "security" had blocked it. By then you had received a lot of answers.<p>Education- High School. This is what I do for fun. I'm a Ham operator (Extra ticket) so a lot of the electronic "knowledge" (and I use that term loosely) comes from that. Work is about designing and programming DCS and PLC based control systems as well as Safety Instrumented Systems. About the only thing that I can carry over from work is serial communication and binary logic. Not much. Search around the web for HAM radio a bit. A lot of guys have web sites that have basic info on them.<p>Here's a link to a school site in the UK. I would have loved to have had this guy for a teacher-<p>School Electronics Club Site
cato

Post by cato »

To get Gmail to work you have to allow cookies, at least for the site. Also, you have to allow pop ups, at least for the site.<p>I have a 20 year old BS in biomedical engineering (electronic instrumentation) and am also and Extra Class Ham (20 WPM no less).
Mike6158

Post by Mike6158 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by cato:
To get Gmail to work you have to allow cookies, at least for the site. Also, you have to allow pop ups, at least for the site.<p>I have a 20 year old BS in biomedical engineering (electronic instrumentation) and am also and Extra Class Ham (20 WPM no less).<hr></blockquote><p>I wish the test would have been 20 WPM when I took it. :) It was good entertainment. Best speed was ≈ 32 WPM at home and about 15 WPM while mobile. Another ham took me under his wing and worked with me until my code speed was up. He could work 45 - 50 WPM plus :eek: I would probably do good to make 10 now. I haven't touched a key in almost a year. I moved and I'm antenna challenged at the moment.