lost with a new toy

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
sylvestercat

lost with a new toy

Post by sylvestercat »

Hi!<p>My sister got my son (eight) a "Fun with electronics" kit from Dorlling Kindersly. It is basicly a cardboard box, some loose components, some springs, and a very interestng instruction book.<p>The first step in playing with this toy is to attach the components on the bottom of the box to the springs. I spent an hour working on the first capaciter, and all I managed to do was demonstrate my range of bad language.<p>Would it be better to go to some other system of doing this? My boy is interested in working with this.<p>To demonstrate my knowledge of what is going on... My boy and I will be learning together on this.<p>Thanks :confused:
If I put my finger in this light socket, will it straigten out my hair?
ele1200

Re: lost with a new toy

Post by ele1200 »

Are you required to solder the componants to the springs??
Donald S. Lambert

Post by Donald S. Lambert »

If that was like some I have assembled it has taper springs to put into holes. And yes it is frustrating to assemble the componets on the bottom side. Seems like I used ofset needle nosed pliers to do it. It does get complicated to put the third and fourth componet onto the bottom. Of course with your "learning board" I suspect that each componet is individually attached to the springs and once attached that is it. Sounds like a Radio Shack 30 in ONE or the big one which is a 200 in ONE. The kits I referred to here were radio kits.<p>I stumbled onto a RS 30 in ONE at a garage sale for $0.75 and since the earphone was missing along the top side connector wires I offered a half buck and I have it on the shelf to play with. Later I went to ebay and bought a used RS 200 in ONE to furthur my knowledge of electronics. Not cheap on ebay but RS no longer sells them. The instructiion books are great.<p>Guess I am a kid at heart since I will be 77 later this month. Greybie
sylvestercat

Post by sylvestercat »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by newguy:
Are you required to solder the componants to the springs??<hr></blockquote><p>Thank god, no. Just push the components into the springs.<p> :p
sylvestercat

Post by sylvestercat »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Greybie:
If that was like some I have assembled it has taper springs to put into holes. And yes it is frustrating to assemble the componets on the bottom side. Seems like I used ofset needle nosed pliers to do it. It does get complicated to put the third and fourth componet onto the bottom. Of course with your "learning board" I suspect that each componet is individually attached to the springs and once attached that is it. Sounds like a Radio Shack 30 in ONE or the big one which is a 200 in ONE. The kits I referred to here were radio kits.<p>I stumbled onto a RS 30 in ONE at a garage sale for $0.75 and since the earphone was missing along the top side connector wires I offered a half buck and I have it on the shelf to play with. Later I went to ebay and bought a used RS 200 in ONE to furthur my knowledge of electronics. Not cheap on ebay but RS no longer sells them. The instructiion books are great.<p>Guess I am a kid at heart since I will be 77 later this month. Greybie<hr></blockquote><p>I found a place that sells the TRS 200 in one. It is three times the RS price. I have one of those, but no instruction book.
the toy is at http://www.hobbytron.net/electronickits.html<p> I would like to have the instruction book, if anyone has one laying around without a kit<p>At one time RS had the best educational stuff going. I remember when the TRS 80 computer first came out. Bit of a clunky computer, but the how to manual that came with it was triple exceptional. Nowdays the education part of the store is almost pathetic. <p>
I went to RS and got a bread board. that is not quite as frustating, but the wires I have (from the 200 in one kit sans manual) won't go into it.<p>
there is more than one way to learn, isn't there :confused:
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

This is of no help whatsoever but, this puts me in mind of the kits that used to be put out by Phillips (when they had two 'l's' in their name.<p>Don't know whether they ever made an appearance across the pond - but they were excellent, even went up to building a LW radio and the like - now where did I put that Heathkit catalogue?<p>Colin
On a clear disk you can seek forever.