Solar Fan

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
keymaker

Solar Fan

Post by keymaker »

I want to make a solar fan.. Is it going to cost me alot?<p>All it has to do is cool me off since it's going to be hot out and I will be outside alot.<p>The fan can be in a fixed location!
Joseph

Re: Solar Fan

Post by Joseph »

Assuming you use an efficient fan (not a car blower fan), you can expect to need about 30 watts of solar power, depending how close you are to the fan. A panel that size could run $200 or more.<p>You could rally get some air movement by using an electric car radiator fan. You would need about 100 watts to power it though. Check out Mr. Solar for solar panels.<p>http://www.mrsolar.com/
thomasng558

Post by thomasng558 »

It depends on how powerful a fan you want.
For a little, personal fan, you could just hook
up a solar cell to a toy airplane. Probably costs
just a few bucks.
keymaker

Post by keymaker »

I have to sit outside all day in the sun....<p>But I don't want it blowing papers around or anything crazy
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

Hmm, how about a Solar Hat Fan? They make hats with built-in fans or you can get the clip on fan that will go on a hat of your choosing. See this example. http://amos.catalogcity.com/cc.class/cc ... 6&ccsyn=15<p>They also sell solar powered roof ventilators, but these are a bit expensive; $150 to $700. Plus you would need to cover the blades as this is an open design meant for installation in an attic.<p>All kidding aside, this is a relatively simple task. Take a trip down to the local department store and head on over to the automotive department. Look in the accessories and gadgets for a clip-on fan that plugs into the lighter/accessory plug of your car. These sell anywhere from $5 to $30. Nice two speed oscillating fans sell for about $15. Find one that has the lowest amp draw possible (if you can determine such info from the box). Unless you go for a big fan these things should not draw more than about one to two amps. At 12 volts, that's about 24 watts. Next you will need a solar panel. This is going to cost you plenty. CCrane sells a 12 volt ten watt model for just under $100. You will need two of these to power a fan of the type I think you want.<p>You can go smaller and get a two cell personal fan. These run on two C or D cell flashlight batteries. Not as strong as the car fans but still better than nothing. These are available just about any department, drug, or home improvement super store every summer. Next get a few of the solar powered yard lights (AKA Malibu lights). Get the type with the solar cells all in one piece on the top. Parallel two or four of these together (leaving the batteries in place) and connect them to the fan. Mount all the "tops" to the lights on a board or other fixture.<p>But your best bet would be to get a couple of "gell cells" (12V at 10AH or better). Fashion an adaptor to female lighter plug to the connectors on the gell cell and get the automotive fan. Have two batteries that you "rotate" each day. Take the discharged battery home each night and charge it all night and the next day. Use the battery charged the night/day before to power the fan. If you insist on solar power, you should use a battery and let the solar cell panels charge the battery. That way you can store the energy while you are not using the fan (lunch, breaks, time away from the fan).
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Umbrella
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

heres a even better idea,, if you can find a fairly good size computer fan 4-6-8" they are great and use very little power,,and a small 5-10 watt panel..( i found a nice 10 watt panel at
Harbor Freight Tools for $19.95 )
and the comp fan ( muffin fan ) you could find at a electronics shop or flea market,, i got a 6 pack of fans off old equieptment from salvation army thrift store,, so a little effort and you can find cheap...
as a matter of fact i got a 75Watt solar panel today for free ! $365.00 value i got it just for the asking,, it was laying under a storage place,,
collecting dust,, i even got the batteries, but they turned out bad, so no loss...<p>anyway i also have a 8" 12v comp fan,, i run it at night off of a 12v batt pack of D-cells
i get the battery packs free too from a mechanic from the airport,, they are ELT batteries
(emergency locator transmitter ) they must be changed each year,, and they are never used, so i get they for free to use, because they canot be used in the plane no more,,and way i must go now,, good luck
keymaker

Post by keymaker »

This reminds me the fool that lives down from my grandmother bought some of those solar panels for his house...<p>Oh about 7x3<p>They are prolly a good 10 years old...
And there are two<p>And I know he aint used them for a long time<p>How much power can I get out of those crazy things?<p>Are they worth offering him $50 for>>> Could I get some 110 AC for light loads?
keymaker

Post by keymaker »

Hehehheeh
I almost asked if I could use a solar panel to power lights for night time<p>*BANGS HEAD ON WALL*<p>I wonder if someone ever made a light that recycles energy?? LIke the light would shine on the panel so it would be infinintly lit<p>Im sure that's impossible.<p>But it's an interesting thought!
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

7X3 doesn't tell much
is it inches or feet? if its feet, then they can be well worth $50 each,, what a steal you could get... and if they are that big you could run light ac loads providing you have a solar controller / regulator and a inverter and a good deep cycle battery.
find out more more info on the solar panels if you can,,, see ya
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

Keymaker,<p>Someone already beat you to the LIGHTS FOR NIGHTTIME using solar. Most are simple yard lights to light a walkway or front of the house. But, if you want to spend the money, you can get a solar panel, battery, inverter system that will do exactly what you suggested. Go to:
http://www.ccrane.com/ready_power.asp<p>Also search the CCrane site for "solar candles" and "solar malibu" lights. Although the local home center will be much cheaper for the latter.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

hey i built a awsome solar light..super bright, lights up the back yard and its only 65 watts max<p>i am using the new light from Lights of America
Model 9266
it will light up 2,580 sq ft.<p>the set up uses a 12 motion detector head, same as the 120 types for floodlighting etc.
a 12volt gel-cell battery, riding mower battery size..a 20watt solar panel a charger / controller
a small 140 watt inverter from radio shack,<p>the light only comes on when it detects motion and then stays on for about 10 min too<p>i test ran it on a full battery with no solar input,, it worked for over 2 weeks, before the battery needed recharged,,i am building a 2nd one now too, soon to have them on all 4 sides of my house.. they are easily worth about 600.00 i think. just in parts and building time.. i got another one i am working on too, except its just a ( (2)50 watt halogen floods ) with motion detection only<p>well anyway enough of me, comments are welcome or orders.. well see ypo all later
keymaker

Post by keymaker »

I had an idea...
Place an ad "Will buy used solar panels"
Fools will sell them to me cheap and I can have a whole side of the roof full of these things and save alot of dough on summer electric bills!!<p>Is it pretty easy to make it do like they said on that site?<p>It said, It would run off solar and if you didn't have enough solar power coming in, it'd automatically draw from household AC<p>That would be great<p>
Also, In kansas, Do the utils "have to buy power from me at the same rate they charge me"??
Or is that balderdash???
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

will what do as said on the web ??<p>i donot understand what you mean ?<p>give more info,, thanx