Trouble shooting Olivetti typeriter

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
fredje1

Trouble shooting Olivetti typeriter

Post by fredje1 »

Does anyone have a service manual for an Oliviti Model # 321 or even a schametic diagraham will do?
I have contacted Oliviti but they are out of Business. If anyone knows where I may find this manual or Schematic by all means contact me. thanks too all. Fje
Fje
Edd

Re: Trouble shooting Olivetti typeriter

Post by Edd »

Seems like real popular, fast moving items there that you are having problems with…hi…hi.
I will just pass along one tad of info that I experienced in checking out an Olivetti model (with full business/legal size platten) of an engineering secretary back in the ‘90’s when it crashed.in the midst of creating an important summary.
The design of that unit was a bit more sophisticated than the venerable IBM Selectric typewriter with its electronics ???...of an AC line cord, power switch and drive motor. On the other hand, nowhere near the complexity of the later 80’s vintage IBM cardwriter or mag-card Memory Writer machines with their dedicated TTL circuitry.
The Olivetti just had a DC power supply circuit and only enough logic /timing electronics for employing its stepping motors . A close inspection of the power supply and reverse engineering of circuitry revealed proper power outputs from the PS board, but none present at the stepper motor circuitry. The problem was identified as the loss of power at the PS board at the male gender Molex like plug...(although being of equivalent Euro design). Two of its connectors were floating in micro-ring type crystallized/cold solder joints. A de-oxidizing/cleaning of all the pins and liberal rosin flux and built up reflow soldering of all of the connectors pins brought the machine back to life with all functions when it was tested out.
Now with a VERY close visual inspection of all of your PCB circuitry…..would you be so lucky on your Olivetti unit ??<p>73's de Edd
[email protected] .........(Interstellar~~~~Warp~~~Speed)
[email protected].........(Firewalled-Spam*Cookies*Crumbs)
;)
fredje1

Re: Trouble shooting Olivetti typeriter

Post by fredje1 »

I should be so lucky. Thank's for the Info tho. I am afraid that it's more than a bad connection. The ribbon does not moove when you type a character. It stays in one place and ocsionaly reverses it rotation a bit. I suscept that the stepper motor is not getting it's phase modulated pulse but I can't find where the pulse Is originated. also I can't take apart the carraige to get at the motor wires so I may be able to trace the wires to where they go. I have replaced the cartridge thinking that It would correct the situation but to no avail. I can't work on anything that is strange to me. I need a road map to see where I am going less I do something drastic and make things worse. I don't fix it if it's not broken but In this case I may end up trashing the unit. I hate to take it to a type tech as I dont't have the money to pay out for such an old typerwriter. It is one of the better Oliviti with scores of electronic Chips, Some I never even heard of. Some large and some small. Any thing else that is important that I may try is of great value to me and is highly welcome. Thank You Fje.
Fje