truck battery to 12vdc regulated supply

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
High4Volts

truck battery to 12vdc regulated supply

Post by High4Volts »

I have a NTE956 IC voltage regulator i would like to use to power a 12v DC touch screen. It will be powered by my truck battery. The screen calls for 12vdc @5% regulation. I know during cranking the voltage drops really low so i need it to maintain that 12v. Any suggestions on how to put togather a supply for this useing that IC or is there a simpler way?<p>[ September 13, 2005: Message edited by: High4Volts ]</p>
Chris Smith

Re: truck battery to 12vdc regulated supply

Post by Chris Smith »

If you must be cranky, and use the screen? <p>Are you sure you want to crank the battery, when operating your device? <p>If so, place a small battery in front of the battery,.... diodes attached to the main battery to ensure it doesn’t back flow during cranking, and feed the circuit this way from the small battery to ensure a "time frame and buffer" in such cases. <p>The batteries will equalize on their own, under normal operating conditions.<p>A small 2 amp 12 volt motorcycle battery can hold your circuit steady for minutes or hours depending on your draw. <p>If your draw is really small, try a pack of nicads, NmHy, or even 6 lead acid D cells that can hold a amp or more.
;) ;) :confused:
jwax

Post by jwax »

If maintaining your screen during that 5 seconds of cranking is all that critical (?) strap a few farads of capacitors on the back of the screen. Use big wire or straps.
What is it you are trying to accomplish?
WA2RBA
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

How about what the high audio amplifier guys use; a "thunder cap" or "lightning cap". These are ONE HALF to ONE FARAD capacitors at 12VDC. Normally used for high power audio this would work great in your application. The regulator itself should serve as a blocking diode.<p>http://www.dragondistributing.com/soundstormcaps.htm
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
positronicle

Post by positronicle »

--Edited by Positronicle--
High4Volts

Post by High4Volts »

I need to maintain 12vdc whebn the truck is running it's voltage is closer to 13.5 which is to high. I have a 1.3 Ghz computer running a GPS and is tied into my audio system. It gives me 5.1 surround. I have a power supply that supports the computer from the battery and will hold the voltages it needs even while cranking the truck so it does not hardoff and reboot from undervoltage to the PSU. The screen can't tie into the PSU. It dosn't have enough spare wattage on the 12v rail to run it without hurting the PSU. I don't want to buy another PSU just for the screen. So a second battery is not the way i want to go. :)
High4Volts

Post by High4Volts »

dang, forgot the most important thing about the screen. it's 12vdc at 2 amps. The paperwork says it needs to be regulated @ 5%.
positronicle

Post by positronicle »

High4Volts

Post by High4Volts »

"I don't see how you have any other choice than to add another power supply(really only a small regulator or so, should do) of some sort."<p>
Can i build one out of a NTE956? :)<p>[ September 13, 2005: Message edited by: High4Volts ]</p>
positronicle

Post by positronicle »

positronicle

Post by positronicle »

positronicle

Post by positronicle »

High4Volts

Post by High4Volts »

ah that figures... So what additional parts would i need? positronicle would you happen to have a schematic?
positronicle

Post by positronicle »

Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Just add your second battery in via the diodes and regulate the voltage out. <p>Any two amp regulator will work. <p>The battery can charge to its max on both the first and second battery. <p>The regulator feeds your second device,.... regulated always,.... and the diodes ensure no back flow to lower the voltage during cranking cycles. <p>A 3 to 5 amp small Motor Cycle battery will work the best, because of size and capacitance stored in its liquids.