real time from basic stamp II

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
paco3024

Post by paco3024 » Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:47 pm

it is possible to keep tranking of real time on a basic stamp? if so, can be added a main id and a sub id numbers to a serial form? , i mean the time first and at what time de event hapens? any idea is welcome

positronicle

Re: real time from basic stamp II

Post by positronicle » Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:48 am

--Edited by Positronicle--

philba

Re: real time from basic stamp II

Post by philba » Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:40 am

It's not completely obvious to me what you are trying to accomplish but if it is for event logging then you have several issues: 1) as positronicle said, you will have drift 2) power issues ( 2a) battery drain or 2b) power outage if using a line connected power supply).<p>Also, handling all the time keeping functions can be pretty messy though not impossible.<p>I agree about using a real time clock chip. Most of them use a 32678 hz watch crystal - even the cheap ones have a 20 ppm accuracy (1.73 seconds per day). They have battery backup and switch into low power mode when main power is lost.<p>I particularly like the maxim DS1302. It reports date in BCD format (easy to print in readable form), has an SPI interface (for brain-dead easy access - basic stamp is no problem), great low power consumption when on backup power and has a trickle charger for a battery or supercap. The ds1302 is pretty cheap (2.50, I think) and maxim is very generous with free samples - they sent me 4 for just asking.<p>[ July 24, 2005: Message edited by: philba ]</p>

positronicle

Post by positronicle » Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:24 am

--Edited by Positronicle--