Green Laser pen

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
ezpcb

Green Laser pen

Post by ezpcb »

I bought a 10mW green laser pen yesterday, comparing to another 10mw red laser beam, so amazing, the green light seems to be times powerful than the red one (when pointing to the dark sky). I think this is because of the eyes' sensitivity of green light is so much higher than red light.
http://www.EzPCB.com
High Quality PCB for Electronics Hobbists, Pay for Chrokee, Get Land Rover
Chris Smith

Re: Green Laser pen

Post by Chris Smith »

Green Vision is ten times the strength of red, blue is ten times that again.<p>Eye sensitivity is least sensitive in the Red spectrum, 10 times greater in the Green, and 10 times that in the Blue.<p>On top of this, the same wattage in green is ten time more efficient in terms of power levels, and blue is again ten times that due to the nature of the smaller more powerful photon packet of wave lengths. <p>Ultra violet, again is even more. <p>10 watts of Red is equal to one watt of green, and 1/10 the of a watt of blue. <p>Same goes for squeezing in information into a CD rom, blue is the next wave followed by UV due to space restrictions and wavelength size.<p>[ September 08, 2005: Message edited by: Chris Smith ]</p>
ezpcb

Post by ezpcb »

You mean, blue is 100 times sensitive than red? that would be great. Is there any blue laser pen?<p>I bought red at $10, green at $80, will blue be $640??
http://www.EzPCB.com
High Quality PCB for Electronics Hobbists, Pay for Chrokee, Get Land Rover
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Not yet, but blue gas lasers [argon] are "to the moon and back" both in cost and efficiency. <p>Actually the blue laser is out, and like all NEW things, the price is still in the upper buck range and dropping fast. <p>I remember pricing one out three years back and they were still $500 plus dollars.

By now, you should be able to get one around $250 to $400.<p> Just for the Diode!
jwax

Post by jwax »

Interesting story of the birth of a blue LED-
http://www.sciencewatch.com/jan-feb2000 ... _page3.htm
WA2RBA
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Green Vision is ten times the strength of red, blue is ten times that again. <hr></blockquote>
Unless you happen to be a human, in which case your eyes will be most sensitive to the yellow area of the visual spectrum.
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

Red laser pointers, when they first came out, were several hundred dollars. My first one was $27. Now I see them for under $5 on a routine basis being sold at gas stations and so on.<p>Search back news stories to see the people being busted by the FBI as "terrorist" because of the green laser pointers. Last Christmas a few of these were given as gifts apparently as there were a bunch of them. The FBI arrested a number of people for "pointing" them at airplanes. I highly doubt that this was the honest attempt by the people using them but since they were so bright, they were reported by pilots. More panic than real concern.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

I always stick to military targets like the B52 and Tomcat. <p>This way they think it’s a war game and they “go black” [lights out] and they don’t report it out of fear of not playing the war game right. <p>A pilot from the Top gun School confirmed this when I pointed it out. He also said they don’t mind because they are always supposed to be on their toes anyway and were giving them a free exercise. <p>However, this was all pre 911.
HighFrequency

Post by HighFrequency »

Yeah, wait till one of your Air National Guard shitheads decides that the laser pointer dot is the laser targetting dot of a .50 cal sniper rifle, and decides to strafe your mom's house, or drop a bunker-buster on your school.<p>[ September 20, 2005: Message edited by: HighFrequency ]</p>
There is only one correct answer, mine.
jwax

Post by jwax »

"your Air National Guard shitheads" ?
Some of us down here don't take kindly to them thar words, Canadian!
WA2RBA
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Our Rules of engagement prohibit armed advances on ground targets. It takes an act of congress to get that to happen, and my grey hair would turn white, fall out, and the worms would digest me before they decided anything that drastic. <p>That’s the System of government we have, and Im proud of their “thumbs residing in dark places"?

I remember one time when seven minutes passed while some one at the top read “my pet goat”, and the Sh*t had hit the fan that time. <p>I could move next door and build a house before that command would take place.<p>These days we have to fear that FEMA could be put into action to resolve the conflict?<p>[ September 20, 2005: Message edited by: Chris Smith ]</p>
HighFrequency

Post by HighFrequency »

Are the rules different for over-seas operations then? Because I believe it was a couple of Air National Guard boys that bombed the piss out of some Canadian infanteers.
There is only one correct answer, mine.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

We don’t export democracy, or follow it over seas. <p>I guess your boyz were sleeping on the job and should have known better?
MicroRem

Post by MicroRem »

You know Chris, I rarely post here, but you talk too much. I only have 22 years in the US military, so maybe you are more of an expert than I. I know you have a degree, I think you mentioned that (once or twice). But accidents happen, and when they do real people get hurt. That is how we killed some Canadians, who are our Allies. It does no one any good when you take ignorant, uninformed and pointless potshots at people. Lighten up, lets concentrate on electronics and technology and try to be helpful. As my wise mother used to say "if you can't say something nice, say nothing at all"<p>Best regards to all<p>Tom
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

usteservice <p>I have traveled the world more than most, and I stand by my words. <p>We don’t export Democracy, we export Capitalism of the worst kind, and then make excuses for the "Mistakes" we make.<p>If we didn’t play politics with Afghanistan in the first place, their Democracy wouldn’t need to be restored, and Canadians wouldn’t have to be killed by that pathetic term you use called “friendly fire”. <p>Your as much of the problem as the moron in the white house, because you enable him to lie to the country and flex his gonad muscle called a brain, which led to these problems in the first place.<p> So, unless you know more than I from your “blinders on tour” of the real world, Id suggest you don’t make excuses for what we do over seas. <p>An no offence intended.<p>Yeah, I have a opinion, with out the blinders attached.