dc desktop pc

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
windav

dc desktop pc

Post by windav »

i want to convert my mac g3 b/w to run on 12vdc.
need VR that can deliver 20a @ 5v , 20a @ 3.3v
any recomm. appreciated
thanx dave
Chris Smith

Re: dc desktop pc

Post by Chris Smith »

Easiest way is to run a invertor. UPS back up units work well.
sundancer87

Post by sundancer87 »

Not to split hairs here, but an inverter takes 12 volts DC and inverts it to 110 volts AC. Conversely, a converter does the opposite. windav didn't say why he wanted to run the G3 from 12 volts but my guess would be to conserve electricity. If this is the case then there won't be any savings at all recharging a UPS battery or using a converter.
That 20 amps is going to be hard to find but it is not unobtainable. I can't help you there, if you needed less amperage I could steer you to some places.
:cool:
jonjonr6

Post by jonjonr6 »

Dave,<p>Are you planning on installing your Mac into your car?
I have already explored all the power supply possibilties when I installed a PC in my car. I eventually found it easiest to use the power invertor instead of trying to design and build a DC/DC power supply strong enough to run it.
If your project is similar to mine, I'll be happy to share more info with you about how mine works.<p>Jon
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Not to split hairs either, but a Invertor is a Convertor. <p>Both "Convert" one from of electricity, to another.
sundancer87

Post by sundancer87 »

In the world of solar where INVERTERS are used to change 12VDC into 110VAC, if you were to mention CONVERTER, they would send you to the travel trailer/motorhome counter for assistance.<p>I realize from reading N&V and this forum that Chris is a great problem solver and contributer to both the mag and here. <p>However, I do know that if I contact Trace, the maker of my 2400 watt INVERTER and ask them about a CONVERTER I may be told that they make INVERTERS, not CONVERTERS.
This the same as asking for a transistor when you want an scr.<p>You don't ask for a Coke when you want a Pepsi.
;)
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

That’s why I said, not to split hairs?<p>We use many fixed acronyms and sayings with out regard for the word it self? <p>Such is the modern world, and the Abridged dictionaries that we use?
sundancer87

Post by sundancer87 »

The point being Chris, you do have a following both here and in the mag.<p>The use of an incorrect name for a product can lead to problems and additional work or frustration for the inexperienced.<p>Proper terminology is important for everyone to follow, that keeps everyone one the same page.<p>Forum visitors seeking advice are anxious to get their problem resolved. If we give them ambigous or misleading information then we haven't offered a service and we haven't been of assistance.<p>It is imcumbant upon those of us that answer questions here, that we be concise and accurate in our answers in order to help each other.<p>Perhaps your reply is correct, we have no regard for the words we use. I wonder Chris, if you went to the doctor for a checkup and he came back with the lab results and used words without regard to their meaning or to your benefit how you would feel?