Finding the manufacture

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
qdgjcl

Finding the manufacture

Post by qdgjcl »

How do I know who made a certain part? I have part numbers that start with 1N and 2N and LM is there a code to find out who made these parts?
greg123

Re: Finding the manufacture

Post by greg123 »

Those are mostly Generic part numbers<p>1N**** Diodes....
2N**** Transistors
LM**** Regulators (Voltage), opamps....<p>Thats mainly it. <p>I guess anybody could have made it. Are you looking to buy more of find a replacement?<p>go to www.fairchildsemi.com and look up the part number. Or, you can go to mouser.com and search for the replacements. OR put the number here and we can find it for you!!<p>[ December 27, 2002: Message edited by: Greg ]</p>
Dimbulb

Post by Dimbulb »

Also on the chip is a logo or insignia of the semiconductor company. The diodes are a little harder to recognize.<p>[ December 27, 2002: Message edited by: dim bulb ]</p>
analogee

Post by analogee »

"1N" and "2N" prefixes are part of the so-called "JEDEC" registered part numbers, which are industry standards. Believe it or not, the "1" implies 2 useful terminals (like diodes), and the "2" implies 3 useful terminals, like bipolar transistors.<p>From www.jedec.org - "JEDEC standards and publications are designed to serve the public interest by eliminating misunderstanding between manufacturers and purchasers and facilitating interchangeability and improvement of products."<p>Anyway, having a "1N" or "2N" number implies nothing about who made it, but then again, it's supposed to mean that it doesn't matter. Any 1N4148 should be interchangeable with any other 1N4148, for example. Look up information at any manufacturer's website that might make it, like Fairchild, or On Semiconductor, for a few possibilities.<p>As far as I know, "LM" is pretty exclusive to National Semiconductor, and stands for "Linear Monolithic". So it is probaby an analog chip of some sort, like Greg said, things like amplifiers and voltage regulators. I'd try the National website to look up information on any LM part -
National Semiconductor
Wir m�ssen wissen.
Wir werden wissen.
qdgjcl

Post by qdgjcl »

The symbol on most of parts is two wavey lines. The other sign I belive is the sign for Motorola.
Thanks for any help.
Brad
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Possibly "signet" for the wavey lines?
Edd

Post by Edd »

Sir Bradley:<p>Passing along a little info on parts marking I.D.’s of manufacturers that I refer to:<p>Part Number Prefixes- Both the Japanese and American manufacturers use families of prefixes that can easily identify what the manufacturer of the device is. For example:
* CTB, CTG, CTM, and CTU prefixes = Sanken diodes
* CXA, CXB, and CXK prefixes = Sony Integrated circuits
* DBA, DBB, DCA, DFB, DFC, and DFD prefixes = Sanyo diodes
* DTA, DTB, and DTC prefixes = Rohm transistors
* ERB, ERC, ERD, ESAC, ESJA, and ESJC prefixes = Fuji diodes
* FMB, FMG, FML, and FMU prefixes = Sanken diodes
* FT prefixes = Fujitsu Integrated circuits
* HA, HB, HC, HD, HG, HM and HS prefixes = Hitachi Integrated circuits
* LA, LB, LC, and LE prefixes = Sanyo Integrated circuits
* SI, STR, STRD, STRM, STRS and STRZ prefixes = Sanken Integrated circuits
* SLA, SMA, and STA prefixes = Sanken transistor arrays
* STK prefixes = Sanyo thick film IC's
* TA, TB, TC, and TD prefixes = Toshiba Integrated circuits
* UPA, UPB, UPC, and UPD prefixes = NEC Integrated circuits
* VPA, VPH, VPM and VPS prefixes = Sanyo video packs <p>Also here are some ref sites to get a view of manufacturers logo’s; or click on and zip right to their site.<p>http://www.chipdocs.com/logos/logotypes.html <p>http://www.yjsystem.com/korean/databank/logo/logo.htm
http://www.elnec.com/ic_logos/ic_logos.htm <p>http://www.aufzu.de/semi/gif/ <p>
Me-thinks that your wavy line logo might be dear ole National
…a very popular supplier in the past.<p>73's de Edd
[email protected]....................(Interstellar~~~~~Warp~~~~~Speed)
[email protected] (Firewalled-Spam*Cookies*Crumbs)<p>[ January 07, 2003: Message edited by: Edd Whatley ]</p>