What Has Happened To The Forum?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Bigglez

What Has Happened To The Forum?

Post by Bigglez »

Nothing looks the same. Did I accidently bump something, delete a
needed cookie, or something?

Things on the forum pages seems to be there, but not in the
familiar places.

Any hints on going back to the 'classic' appearance (i.e. yesterday...)?
SETEC_Astronomy

Re: What Has Happened To The Forum?

Post by SETEC_Astronomy »

The board was updated to a newer version of phpbb. You did nothing to cause the change. Link locations, Avatars and other forms have been shifted due to the currently installed theme. I think reverting to "yesterday" is impossible. I've already asked Michael if they plan to install other themes as I find this one slightly hard to read and follow. I recommend just waiting it out a few days, allow time for Michael and Larry to get things finished up, there's a lot involved in updating phpbb on a live and active site.
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

Personally, I liked the old way much better. Everything here seems spread out way too much. It seems like I have to scroll forever to go back and forth. Also liked the posters/replyers ID on the left. My question is since you had a good thing - why change it?
Michael Kaudze
Site Admin

Post by Michael Kaudze »

My question is since you had a good thing - why change it?
The forum was update because the old forum wasn't functioning properly. None of the styles worked at 100%... Not to mention the constant spam attacks. We have had many requests to update the forum. We know we cant make everyone happy - but the least we can do is give everyone a working forum to use. :)

Enjoy!
Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change. Stephen William Hawking.
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

The forum was update because the old forum wasn't functioning properly. None of the styles worked at 100%... Not to mention the constant spam attacks. We have had many requests to update the forum. We know we cant make everyone happy - but the least we can do is give everyone a working forum to use.

Enjoy!
Thanks! I find it doing well for me. I just have to probe for the "reply" box since my contrast theme is inverted, and the box is invisible. I've set my display for white fonts on a black background.
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

Blue icons for no new posts / red for new posts ... That I like. The old two shades of blue I didn't.

Thanks N & V.
Dale Y
SETEC_Astronomy

dyarker wrote:Blue icons for no new posts / red for new posts ... That I like. The old two shades of blue I didn't.
I guess that explains why I can't see the difference. I just thought they were using the same pic/icon for new posts and no new posts. I guess I'll make a local change so I can see the difference.
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

Maybe I'm in the minority but I LIKE THE NEW FORMAT . It is easy to read and pleasant on the eyes.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Am I blind? Where did the "Add Image to Post" button go? How do I add a picture now. Do I really need to use an outside hosting service and post the link using the /img html code. I was all over the User Control panel. Did I miss a checkbox or something? Didn't see any skin selection. Is there one?
SETEC_Astronomy

haklesup wrote:Am I blind? Where did the "Add Image to Post" button go? How do I add a picture now. Do I really need to use an outside hosting service and post the link using the /img html code. I was all over the User Control panel. Did I miss a checkbox or something? Didn't see any skin selection. Is there one?
I don't get a post image option either. We do have the ability to change the theme but no other themes are installed at the moment. We're stuck with this one for the time being.
Bigglez

Post by Bigglez »

Michael Kaudze wrote:Not to mention the constant spam attacks - but the least we can do is give everyone a working forum to use.
Aparently the SPAMMERs like the new forum, too!
jwax

Post by jwax »

Perhaps a name change is in order: "Drugs, Nuts, & Volts".
WA2RBA
Michael Kaudze
Site Admin

Post by Michael Kaudze »

haklesup wrote:Am I blind? Where did the "Add Image to Post" button go? How do I add a picture now. Do I really need to use an outside hosting service and post the link using the /img html code. I was all over the User Control panel. Did I miss a checkbox or something? Didn't see any skin selection. Is there one?
The "UPLOAD ATTACHMENT" option is right under the section where you input text for a post... I can see it now typing this text.
Attachments
NV4PackBackground.jpg
NV4PackBackground.jpg (143.99 KiB) Viewed 5839 times
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

That's where it used to be before the upgrade. It's not there now on my screen. I even tried the Find function in my browser to look for it. With the old version this was usually fixed by changing skins but that option is no longer available.

I'd send a screen clip to prove it but that's not an option.

What's with the warning message "You do not have permission to view files attached to this post". I never saw that before. Did you attach or is that text part of your post intentionally?
Michael Kaudze
Site Admin

Post by Michael Kaudze »

You can only see attachments if you are signed in.
Attachments
Attatchment.jpg