Autoturret

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
unknown_entity

Autoturret

Post by unknown_entity »

I plan on taking on a project to make an automatic gun turret of sorts for paintball. I already have the mechanical part down because i have this setup now with a live video camera and manual controls. (it's awesome but there still has to be a video monitor and rca cable ran) I have decent idea of how to set up the sensors. A set of PIR (Motion Light type) sensors for rough guidance set up like so. <p>.=my horrible ASCII art skills
C=fine sensor
*=PIR
Front
.....*U <p> L* *C* *R <p>.....*D <p>With a circuit (some type of comparator maybe?) to "choose" which PIR has the highest output both on the vert and horiz axis.(otherwise it will only be able to move in one direction at a time and have a very blocky movement) and swing the barrel in that direction. The C in the center will be some type of sensor or array of sensors to more accurately aim once the barrel is aimed in the general direction by the PIR's.
When one of the center PIRs have the highest signal the barrel movement will stop and the C sensor will take over movement for fine control.<p>
I am hoping to accomplish the control circuit this with no more than a handfull of IC's and some Relays.<p>*What type of sensor would be best suited for the C portion?
*Any suggestions as how to set up a control circuit?
*Maybe it would be simpler using an IR laser and sensors that can detect it(Just point & shoot)<p>[ December 26, 2002: Message edited by: unknown_entity ]</p>
Chris Smith

Re: Autoturret

Post by Chris Smith »

You might find ultra sonics a little easier to handle. Each sensor can handle distance and when combined stereo, a small processor can triangulate perfectly where any object is. <p>Also there are many articles in N&V on ultra sonic, where as PIR is a whole different ball park. <p>Each PIR module contains a box car load of Comparators, sensing, and timing circuits to which you may not have graphic access to?
billdar

Post by billdar »

This would be a bad a** project... I tried to
do the same with one that would follow a laser
pointer spot.<p>The algorythm for an automous aiming circuit with
a horizontal/vertical component was rediculusly
difficult with anykind of percision (read anything
short of a grenade would miss )<p>What are the ranges for the ultrasonics? and what
kind of granularity can you get from them?<p>-Bill
frhrwa
Location: Eastern Washington (state) and N. Las Vegas (winter)

Post by frhrwa »

isn't that cheating having an "an automatic gun turret of sorts for paintball."?... what if someone through a paintball grenade in an captured your turret? ha... glad I'm not playing in your yard..
JESUS”…… don’t leave EARTH without HIM!
unknown_entity

Post by unknown_entity »

Well I wouldn't consider this cheating when the other team makes homemade paint grenades the size of coffee cans. And has a manual turret that has 3 autocockers and a damn near bottomless ammo hopper on top of it.
The way i have it set up now it has a live video camera I found from a surplus dealer. But all manual controls. So there is still a need for someone to sit behind a monitor but the controls are by an RC car transmitter. Just someone (usually me)has to climb and set this thing up on a tree stand and run a cable for the video feed. For now i'll just stick with manual controls and aiming.