Is RadioShack that confused?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
User avatar
jwax
Posts: 2144
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:01 am
Location: NY
Contact:

Re: Is RadioShack that confused?

Post by jwax » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:44 pm

A) I don't need anybody's permission to "have the floor".
B) I'm refusing to enter your pointless banter session.
C) I'll submit technical input to the forum when I have technical input.

Robert Reed
Posts: 2276
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:01 am
Location: ASHTABULA,OHIO
Contact:

Re: Is RadioShack that confused?

Post by Robert Reed » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:31 pm

WOW- I am impressed at all that great detective work. For someone bashing MrAl and his time wasting efforts, you sure do seem to have a lot of time on your hands!

Bigglez
Posts: 1282
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:39 pm
Contact:

Re: Is RadioShack that confused?

Post by Bigglez » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:18 pm

Robert Reed wrote:WOW- I am impressed at all that great detective work. For someone bashing MrAl and his time wasting efforts, you sure do seem to have a lot of time on your hands!
Yes I do. (On Fridays, that is. I have the day off, but also do all our laundry).

Bigglez
Posts: 1282
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:39 pm
Contact:

Re: Is RadioShack that confused?

Post by Bigglez » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:22 pm

jwax wrote:A) I don't need anybody's permission to "have the floor".
B) I'm refusing to enter your pointless banter session.
C) I'll submit technical input to the forum when I have technical input.
Great! Make it strong, make it fun, make it compelling, keep it short!

Bigglez
Posts: 1282
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:39 pm
Contact:

Re: Is RadioShack that confused?

Post by Bigglez » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:48 am

Robert Reed wrote:WOW- I am impressed at all that great detective work. For someone bashing MrAl and his time wasting efforts, you sure do seem to have a lot of time on your hands!
I'm not bashing MRAL. Why would you think that?
He is a perfect example of why you don't want to upgrade
the staff at a Radio Shack.

Interestingly, he's stated in an earlier PM that he doesn't
read my posts, so why all the fuss?

Anyone that wants to do wet PCB chemistry 'for fun', I
say good luck to them. I tried it. I spend hundreds of hours
and hundreds of dollars, and I suck at it.

I choose to spend the same time doing other things, including
CADCAM design of sophisticated PCBs that I can shop around
for the lowest price or best fit on delivery (as time IS money).

Detective work? Not really, I just used the tools in Microsoft
office to put some numbers on a hunch. And so can you!

User avatar
CeaSaR
Posts: 1676
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2003 1:01 am
Location: Phoenixville, PA USA
Contact:

Re: Is RadioShack that confused?

Post by CeaSaR » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:38 am

Bigglez wrote:Technically ignorant society. ...-> After all, the stone-age didn't end because humans ran out of stones.
(See post on page 3 for full content)
Bigglez,

My replies:

1.) The independent closed due to location and, from what I had heard, shady management.

A.) While on the main road of town, the parking lot was off of a side street that made it hard to
get off and on the very same main road - inconvenient. The Corporate store was located in a mall
and is still located in a mall just down the road from the original location. Both the old location and
the new location have plenty of parking.
B.) Something to do with questionable money management. This is 3rd or 4th hand information.

2.) Technology apathy is, I think, a more apt description. As you inferred, most people could care less
about how things work, as long as those things continue to work. This type of person is usually called
an End User. As long as they push button "A" and result "B" happens, all is well. When result "C" or "D"
happens, they are at a total loss as to why "B" disappeared, let alone why "C" and "D" showed up.

It's the same with people who drive their automobiles with faulty brake lights and the little "Check Engine"
light glowing on their dash. As long as the car starts, off they go, happy to be yet another End User.

With technology comes the responsibility of knowing something about that technology other than how to
turn it on and off. User manuals are included for a reason. I'm not saying that one needs to know the most
minute detail about everything they lay their hands on, but knowing the basic rules of ownership responsibility
and how to spot impending trouble goes a long way to getting the most out of any technology, even 'stones'.

*Quality* is a subjective term that has been used incorrectly for a long time. A qualifier is normally used with
it to tell what type it is: High means good or very good, Low means poor to no real value, while Mid is pretty
self explanatory. Subjective is just that - a personal evaluation of what is most important to determine the
type of *Quality*. For many with little disposable income, price may have a greater weight than actual performance.
Others place great value on brand names. Other people place individual freedom over certain restrictive caveats
placed upon a product by the manufacturer or provider. Therefore, *Quality* by itself really means nothing. In
this economy, I can see where price is a major factor in purchasing.

The rate of change in Technology is astounding. The plus side to it is that when a decently constructed unit
(whatever it may be) finally reaches the end of it's life, you should have gotten the perceived value out of it and
be good and ready to purchase something truly new, not just a small incremental upgrade. Sometimes you even get to
miss out on the so-called trends/things that probably shouldn't have been. Windows ME anyone? The downside to the
swift speed of technology is that planned obsolescence comes very fast now. Along with the perceived need to "upgrade"
is the hype that leads people to believe they need the latest and greatest "bling" to stay ahead in the world. IS the
upgrade necessary or is it just a byproduct of good/slick advertising? Even though a product may be improved, i.e.,
faster, cheaper (less expensive, cheaper has the connotation of lower quality), better, doesn't mean that it is a
necessity when last year's model is still fully functional and serving quite well. Would you go out and buy a new
house every 2-3 years just because it has a new feature? That would be ridiculous, right? Of course 300 G's or much
more is different than 100-1000 dollars, though the concept is the same.

As I said above, I don't expect people to understand every iota of everything they touch. Within this thread, though,
I do expect salespeople to have a firm grasp of their stock, at least in their section, so as to be able to assist
customers effectively. The salesperson is the first link in customer service.

I can think of an amendment to your question:
Since the global citizenry are turning more to "green", should the trend which has lead to the invention of the
disposable society be allowed to continue on unabated, or will it eventually slow or stall? Is all progress good?

A highly critical view of the global situation is required to answer those questions. In this case, critical means
analytical. It also means that a cursory glance is unacceptable to give informed answers. I, myself, have to do a
lot more research into those questions before I can even hazard an opinion.

CeaSaR

BTW, word count = 794. :mrgreen:
Hey, what do I know?

User avatar
sofaspud
Posts: 531
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2002 1:01 am
Location: San Antonio, TX
Contact:

Re: Is RadioShack that confused?

Post by sofaspud » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:08 pm

A wise person once told me...
There are two kinds of fools.
One kind says, "Old is good."
The other kind says, "New is better."

I'll agree with CeaSaR above. I don't need a BSci to sell me a project box, but
RS staff could be a little more aware of what's on their shelves. Speaking from
my own experience of course.

SETEC_Astronomy
Posts: 582
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 12:44 am
Contact:

Re: Is RadioShack that confused?

Post by SETEC_Astronomy » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:26 pm

sofaspud wrote:A wise person once told me...
There are two kinds of fools.
One kind says, "Old is good."
The other kind says, "New is better.
Very wise indeed.

I think it boils down to the difference between educated and informed. It would be nice to have an informed sales person whereas an educated sales person might not necessarily be good thing or even feasible.

Bigglez
Posts: 1282
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:39 pm
Contact:

Re: Is RadioShack that confused?

Post by Bigglez » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:44 pm

CeaSaR wrote:It's the same with people who drive their automobiles with faulty brake lights and the little "Check Engine" light glowing on their dash. As long as the car starts, off they go, happy to be yet another End User.
That would be me. My 1997 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer has a brake warning
light that comes on from time to time. I ignore it.

Just last month something started clicking under the dash on the
passenger side. When I take a sharp right turn the AC blows hot, but
when I take a sharp left turn it goes cold again.

Most likely the air dam has broken loose. I would estimate a minimum of
two hours at $165/hr labour to confirm that at the dealership. It gets
me to and from work.

I heard that the Fed gov will grant up to five grand tax credit on an older
vehicle to new vehicle trade. Probably under specific (and quite limiting)
conditions.

Bigglez
Posts: 1282
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:39 pm
Contact:

Re: Is RadioShack that confused?

Post by Bigglez » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:51 pm

CeaSaR wrote:With technology comes the responsibility of knowing something about that technology other than how to
turn it on and off. User manuals are included for a reason. I'm not saying that one needs to know the most
minute detail about everything they lay their hands on, but knowing the basic rules of ownership responsibility
and how to spot impending trouble goes a long way to getting the most out of any technology, even 'stones'.
It remains my observation that only a very few know more than the
minimum ("turn on, turn off" as you put it). Articles for sale have
therefore become shiny objects (or the lowest price leader).
CeaSaR wrote: *Quality* is a subjective term that has been used incorrectly for a long time. A qualifier is normally used with
it to tell what type it is: High means good or very good, Low means poor to no real value, while Mid is pretty
self explanatory. Subjective is just that - a personal evaluation of what is most important to determine the
type of *Quality*. For many with little disposable income, price may have a greater weight than actual performance.
Yes, defining "quality" is tricky. Which is a better quality vehicle?
Rolls Royce or Chevy Caprice?
Does you answer change if I told you the vehicle was being added
to a Mahattan taxi cab fleet?

The definition of "quality" I learned in school is this:
"Quality is the suitability of a good for a specific purpose"

We test that again with the buyer of taxi cabs. Which is better
for the task Rolls Royce or Chevy Caprice?

Bigglez
Posts: 1282
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:39 pm
Contact:

Re: Is RadioShack that confused?

Post by Bigglez » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:57 pm

CeaSaR wrote:Within this thread, though,
I do expect salespeople to have a firm grasp of their stock, at least in their section, so as to be able to assist
customers effectively. The salesperson is the first link in customer service.
I'm really the wrong person to ask. Radio Shack lost me as a customer
years ago. What I buy wasn't stocked in their stores. Period.

Bigglez
Posts: 1282
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:39 pm
Contact:

Re: Is RadioShack that confused?

Post by Bigglez » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:12 pm

CeaSaR wrote: I can think of an amendment to your question:
Since the global citizenry are turning more to "green", should the trend which has lead to the invention of the
disposable society be allowed to continue on unabated, or will it eventually slow or stall? Is all progress good?
Well, that is a shift in the topic. I'm wondering who is allowing (or
disallowing) society in your argument?

The reduction of available resources (green or otherwise) is
subject to the laws of supply and demand. Witness the panic
buying of petroleum in 2008, prices rose sharply, average
people began changing their lives. Demand softened before
the USA presidential election, and has returned to a level
not much higher than before the bubble. Few if any of
the expert talking heads accurately predicted the
outcome or the timing.

The interesting thing is that in Europe, where the price of
petrol is not dictated by the free market, the price has remained
steady (or, at least with less peaking compared to the USA).
The governments of Europe have taxed their populus into
conservation over many decades. Here in the USA the 'green'
activities (buying organic food, for example) were the first
casualty of the recent economic downturn. Whole Foods
(aka "Whole Paycheck") took it on the nose.

There is no right or wrong answers to the macro questions
(energy, green living, technology ignroance), just as there
are no right or wrong answers to the micro questions
(shopping at Radio Shack, making wet PCBs at home).

SETEC_Astronomy
Posts: 582
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 12:44 am
Contact:

Re: Is RadioShack that confused?

Post by SETEC_Astronomy » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:34 pm

MrAl wrote:Hello again,
Made a visit to RS today, picked up a couple of those small 'experimenters' circuit boards.
Too bad they went up to $1.99 each when they used to be $0.99 each (USD).
Those used to be a staple of mine until I invested in the items needed to produce PCBs at home. The ability to whip up a design on the computer, etch a board with it and then simply solder on components has ruined me for the process point-to-point wiring. Back when I used the boards almost daily I cleared their rack just about as fast as they could fill it, fun memory.

I do have to say that I'm quite pleased with a soldering iron and a de-soldering iron I purchased from Radioshack nearly 7 yeas ago. I've only needed to buy new tips (of course) and everything else has performed flawlessly. I would like to step up to a temperature controlled Weller in the near future though as a 15-Watt iron falls short on more and more projects of mine.

Seeing as how I started this thread I'll just add that while my intent was only to poke a little fun at the company for a comedic oversight on their webpage, I meant nothing more. Radioshack has it's place in society and as several others have said they can come in handy when you're in need of a project board, solder or a common value of resistor.

Robert Reed
Posts: 2276
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:01 am
Location: ASHTABULA,OHIO
Contact:

Re: Is RadioShack that confused?

Post by Robert Reed » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:45 pm

Setec
"I do have to say that I'm quite pleased with a soldering iron and a de-soldering iron I purchased from Radioshack nearly 7 yeas ago."

Over the years I have tried a myriad of desoldering tools, some cheap and some expensive. But the desoldering iron I bought from RS is by far the most effective weapon yet. Bought this item fo $6.95 about 11 years ago and is still serving me well. This and the small DIP boards aforementioned really stand out from the rest of their overpriced stock, so there are still a few purchases that are worthwhile there.

SETEC_Astronomy
Posts: 582
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 12:44 am
Contact:

Re: Is RadioShack that confused?

Post by SETEC_Astronomy » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:55 pm

Robert Reed wrote:Over the years I have tried a myriad of desoldering tools, some cheap and some expensive. But the desoldering iron I bought from RS is by far the most effective weapon yet. Bought this item fo $6.95 about 11 years ago and is still serving me well. This and the small DIP boards aforementioned really stand out from the rest of their overpriced stock, so there are still a few purchases that are worthwhile there.
I also had to try several things before settling on the desoldering iron from Radioshack (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2062731). I tried desoldering wick, a desoldering bulb, a desoldering plunger and finally the Radioshack desoldering iron. As you said, the desoldering iron is the most effective, I love it. Considering the outstanding service I've been able to get from the tool I'd say the price is quite acceptable at a mere $10.99. Two cheers for Radioshack.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 17 guests