Experimenting with Hot Glue..

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
CeaSaR

Re: Experimenting with Hot Glue..

Post by CeaSaR »

Click the link and it's there.

Now if you want it to show in the post, use the bbs code at the top of the editor - click the icon with a picture in it. This will bring up the image tag. Place your image url between and you should be good to go. Of course, some work better than others. Let me give it a try.

CeaSaR

And here's the reason why it doesn't show up. The link is not a direct url to the photo, ie, it doesn't end with the photo name and extension.

This: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... BG-LED.jpg in the tags results in this:Image

This is why other, more direct hosts are required.
Hey, what do I know?
evahle

Post by evahle »

I posted a reply here earlier, but it doesn't show up. Anyway thank you! Now that I understand what's going on, I'll try to upload my schematics & pictures to Google Drive first, then set it to public. I'll copy the link to WikiMedia, since the other host imaging sites want donations(probably will disappear later). I'll have to join WikiMedia first, then setup a permalink. This will take time to learn and test. But I'm like a dog with a bone.
Thanks Again!!
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

I just used Wikimedia as an example of what the board requires for the image tag, ie an address to the image that ends in a standard image extension such as .jpg, .gif, .bmp, .png as these are the ones browsers can render. It doesn't matter where it is hosted, as long as when you view the image by itself (right click or hold down [if on a touch screen device] and view image or copy image url), the end of the URL ends in one of those extensions. Wikimedia just happened to be one of the first sites that popped up in my search for "LED picture" that had an image url in the right format.
Hey, what do I know?
evahle

Post by evahle »

Yes, I understand that. Wikimedia seems to be a better site, in that it looks more permanent(no donations and popular name). I just don't want my schematics and pics to disappear like my other ones have already.
I don't know much about setting up websites, but it seems to me that we should be able to setup a server that is dedicated to this forum for schematics and photos only, that way it would in itself, become the image hosting. Can you image with Terabytes at our disposal for that purpose?
I hate seeing other members having to go through the trouble to learn how to do all of this, just to show other members their schematics.
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hi,

I've seen enough web sites like this one go through changes that always have a negative effect on certain things like pictures and text and math equations made with Latex. I can only think that the the people who make the web sites dont understand the importance of getting file formats and other formats the same with the new software. What happens is that the underlying format once changed makes EVERY post from EVERY member worthless if they used that format.
Pictures are the most problematic because often members show their work in the form of a diagram like jpg or gif. It's very important to get those formats to work right.
Latex is also important if it was used in the first place because members often show their equations and formulas using Latex, so if the Latex engine isnt working right EVERY post by EVERY member that was ever posted to the forum since day 1 is rendered unreadable. That makes those posts worthless and usually that means the whole thread is worthless.
Text, although it seems like you cant mess this up, can also be rendered unreadable if the original text depended on a non proportional font and that no longer works right. I've seen this happen on several sites over the years. That messes up the indentations too and all the deliberate spaces used for computer coding such as ASM.
Last comes the emoticons They get messed up too when the board changes the way the originals work. I mean how hard could it be to get them to work the way they were originally intended to work.

So these things have to be dealt with one at a time, and fixed. Otherwise it's not a very useful board. Luckily, all the above can be fixed but it takes the site manager to do it.
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Hey MrAl, long time no see!

I think you've hit the nail on the head with that last phrase. Just a comment on one of the threads to say, "Hey, we're working on it." would go a long way to ease the member's minds.
Hey, what do I know?
evahle

Post by evahle »

Absolutely! Maybe we all can PM Vern on Facebook to get his attention. :)
evahle

Post by evahle »

I'm now a member of the Electro-Tech-Online forum. Here's a link to their own attachment of a photo. It doesn't show in the address that it's a hosted image, but you have to be a member to see it I think:
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/att ... pg.113295/
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

CeaSaR wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:44 pm Hey MrAl, long time no see!

I think you've hit the nail on the head with that last phrase. Just a comment on one of the threads to say, "Hey, we're working on it." would go a long way to ease the member's minds.
Hi,

Hello again, and yes it would be good ot hear something.
I also see that this forum site is not secure either. That's strange.

PS
Oh Vern sent a PM and says he's not with this company anymore. That's a shame.
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

PS
Oh Vern sent a PM and says he's not with this company anymore. That's a shame.
Sure is. At least he's still a member of the message board.
Hey, what do I know?
evahle

Post by evahle »

I used the Wikimedia to get a permalink to post a picture here. Still no success. See 7th reply above"
evahle

Post by evahle »

Never mind. When I replied above, the reply moved to last page. The new link is where I posted the image of the night light. Sheez. I'm about to give up on this.
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

Above done by

Code: Select all

[img]http://www.yarker-dsyc.info/D_Notebook/GenImages/logoDaleNB.png[/img]
Use code tags to show EXACTLY what you are doing to show an image. You can get code tags with </> icon.

(I could not get my image to show while URL had double quotes.)

The image icon looks like 2 mountains with the sun (?) over the shorter one at left. Click that to get image tags with the cursor between them.

Cheers,
Dale Y
evahle

Post by evahle »

Finally success!!!! See page 4

I'll go ahead and upload some more pics into wikimedia so I can share them here.
evahle

Post by evahle »

Includes the schematic.