PIC-LCD Interface

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
sira

PIC-LCD Interface

Post by sira »

Hello there,
I need a photo-copy of the article "BUILD YOUR OWN UNIVERSAL LCD INTERFACE" by Dennis Shepard, that appeared in NUTS & VOLTS, September 2001.
I contacted the author, but he has removed the file from his hard drive.
OR
Has anyone interfaced a PIC micro-chip to a
[one line 16 Character]OPTREX model# DMC-16106A LCD
It will be much appreciated if someone can help me out.
Thanks.
Please reach me at: [email protected]<p>[ August 22, 2004: Message edited by: sira ]</p>
bodgy

Re: PIC-LCD Interface

Post by bodgy »

Is this LCD module any different to standard LCD's that use a HD44780 interface chip or similar?<p>If not then any LCD code for a pic will work. Plus how ever the article made it universal, I imagine by some form of serial input.<p>Was this code in assembler, basic or 'C' ?<p>I have general LCD code for dedicated hanging off a pic.<p>Some general code is also available from the square1 books website - though this code is confusing (purposely) if you don't have the book. But it does have something very similar to what you want.<p>Colin
On a clear disk you can seek forever.
sira

Post by sira »

Colin,<p>Yes, the LCD has the HD44780 interface chip.
I have not seen the article "Build your own Universal LCD Interface" by Dennis shepard, hence can't comment whether the author has used assembler, BASIC or 'C'.
I would appreciate if you could email as attachement, your "general LCD code for dedicated hanging off a PIC"
As for the info in the Square-One book, I am not too sure I will be able to locate the book in any library nearby.
Sira.
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

Have searched the Microchip App Notes?
Dale Y
sira

Post by sira »

Hello Dale,
I have checked the Microchip App Note
"Interfacing PICmicros to a LCD module" [AN587]. But however it needs a file "lm0321.h" which I am unable to locate.
Sira.
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

Put AN587 in search box at www.microchip.com and got:
http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcp lg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1999&ty=&dty=&section=&NextRow=&ssUserText=AN587&DesignDocSelect=
The second entry "AN587 Source Code" is a zip file containing the file you need.<p>Cheers,<p>[ August 22, 2004: Message edited by: Dale Y ]</p>
Dale Y
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by sira:
Colin,<p>I would appreciate if you could email as attachement, your "general LCD code for dedicated hanging off a PIC"<p>As for the info in the Square-One book, I am not too sure I will be able to locate the book in any library nearby.
Sira.
<hr></blockquote><p>
Emailing will be slightly difficult due to not knowing your email address. <p>OOPS I now see your address!<p>However, if you go to my webpage www.xcprod.com/cdb there will be some LCD code in structured Basic that you can download.<p>PM me your email address and I can send some 'C' code.<p>Incidentally, the Microchip Maestro software has a LCD module in its library in ASM. Maestro produces relocatable code not static, so you may need to do some careful looking to extract the code in static format.<p>Square1 books advertise in N&V I think their web site is www.sq1.com - You will be unlikely to find the books in your library or local bookshop.<p>Colin<p>[ August 23, 2004: Message edited by: bodgy ]</p>
On a clear disk you can seek forever.
sira

Post by sira »

Thanks Colin,
I am going through your web page and will get back to you shortly.
Thanks once again.
sira.