Caller ID

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
greg123

Caller ID

Post by greg123 »

Does Anyone have any info on decoding caller the called id packet in telephone lines. For example, i want to connect my line to my computer and take the phone number and name of a person and record it.<p>Thanks
bodgy

Re: Caller ID

Post by bodgy »

I've got a feeling that although the ID is automatically transmitted with System X exchanges, unless you subscribe they get lopped off when the call is routed to you. Though I stand and sit to be corrected.<p>There are caller ID chips (Holtek I believe do one), have a look at the rat_ring news group on yahoo - it is dedicated to anything to do with phone electronics and using PIC's to do the brain work.<p>colin
On a clear disk you can seek forever.
frhrwa
Location: Eastern Washington (state) and N. Las Vegas (winter)

Post by frhrwa »

seems to me, if the little caller ID boxes have done all the work for you, by sending the info to the LCD, that one of you guys could build an output port to send it as a file to your computer.. ? I've read some of your responses in this forum and I respect the fact that there is real talent in this group! :cool:
JESUS”…… don’t leave EARTH without HIM!
kmagers

Post by kmagers »

if you are wanting to use a computer there are several programs that decode caller id with a cid capable modem and most are some even talk
to tell you the information