Nokia 232 as walkie talkie

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
plodhi

Nokia 232 as walkie talkie

Post by plodhi »

I have 2 unused nokia 232 cell phones. Is it possible to modify and use as walkie talkie. Dont want to part with them. They gave good service for many years.
Externet

Re: Nokia 232 as walkie talkie

Post by Externet »

Hi.
Portable telephones transmit and receive in different portions of the band. They are full duplex. They can communicate to each other only trough a repeater.
Even building your own repeater the channel selection would need knowledge of the schematic diagram, all details of operation of the particular models and great magnifying lenses to perform any surgery to bypass some microcontrolled sections.
It is not an easy project; and if you can do it, MAY be illegal... This is arguable... There is no license requiered to transmit in the cell band. But you could not interfere anybody elses's communication.
Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
plodhi

Post by plodhi »

Hi! Miguel
Thanks for the information. <p>Plodhi
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

At one time cell phones could be used as a walkie talkie WITHOUT a repeater. This was done using brick phones back in the late 80's early 90's. I remember seeing people use this method at a flea market I used to frequent. It was a certain model brick phone (Motorola???) that could be put into "test" mode. You had full duplex communications but only between two phones. It was not like the walkie talkie type communications being used with cell phones (via the cell site as the repeater) that you can subscribe to now. This was communications between two phones. I do not know what model phone was being used but you put them into test mode and the transmitter and receiver were set to different frequencies manually. I'm not sure if they used the standard split then reversed the signal on one phone or not. While this was probably illegal (sure it wasn't) the phones were used point to point. I never used one just saw people using them. This could not be done with every phone, just a certain small models. The "secret" was not widely shared and certain cliques snatched up the used phones quickly. <p>All the programming was done right on the keypad with minimal trouble. I watched as the buyers would test a perspective purchase and would test the unit out right at the flea market table.<p>This probably can't be done easily anymore but I thought I might share this information with you.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
plodhi

Post by plodhi »

Thanks for the information
Plodhi