Gateway Destination Monitor

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
keymaker

Gateway Destination Monitor

Post by keymaker »

I've got one of those DC27 model I believe it is<p>It's the 27" monitor... manufactured 1999 or so,, anyway the story is everything is green now... Green and washed out<p> When I adjust G gain and Blue gain I get a change and when I adjust R gain I get no change - if that helps any<p>What would it take to fix this crazy thing for them?
haklesup

Re: Gateway Destination Monitor

Post by haklesup »

In my experience, when one or two colors go out on a VGA monitor it is the VGA cable or the connector at either end which has open or intermittent pins.<p>Does the On screen display (OSD) show all colors. Is the wash out only in video from the PC? If the OSD is OK then it most likly is the cable.<p>Sounds like the pin for the Red synch signal may be open. Inspect the VGA connector for broken or bent pins, move the cable around at each end and see if the picture comes back to normal. As a last resort, use a meter to check the continuity of each pin (you will need to remove the cover and maybe unplug the cable from inside if this is not a removable cable).<p>All that and it still may be an electrical failure but usually it is the video cable.<p>[ August 17, 2004: Message edited by: haklesup ]</p>
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

sounds like a cathode to filiment short..
if this is the case you might can repair it by isolating the filiment from the cathode...
to do this you can do one of 2 things..
use a isolator kit...or look on the neck board...find the 2 filiment connections...one pin will be common to the rest of the commons on the board...you will need to break that connection..scratch / cut it in 2 , to seperate it from the rest of the grounds..next cut and isolate the wire going to the other pin of the filiment... next...get you a about 18" of small wire...18Ga or 16Ga should be fine or larger,,,what ever you happen to have on hand<p>rember the larger the wire the smaller the number<p>ok,, here goes... start off by taking the wire and wrap it around the flyback core,,2-3 times
then tie wrap it so it stays fairly tight around the core..then twist the wires untill you have enough to reach the neck board...then solider each wire to the filiment pins on the neck board..<p>test this...watch the filiment closely..it should have a soft glow.. video should show up in about 10 sec or so... if not,,you might need to make an extra turn on the flyback core... if the filiment lights up too fast or looks brighter than a cigarette glow then turn it off imeaditally to prevent dammage..and remove 1 turn...
just make sure the ground trace is broken otherwise the problem will persist...<p>retest.. GOOD LUCK let me know how this works for you..
keymaker

Post by keymaker »

I'm going to print you off and take you to the tv repair house with me so if you want to add anything that'd be great<p> I really appreciate all of that, so far, even if it made my head spin like a chinese top
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

ok, good luck...its a jerry rig deal...but it has proven effective with me with every heater filiment to cathode short i ever came across..
poseidonx

Post by poseidonx »

I just wanted to add something
to this post and im sorry if I
upset anyone.Tvs and moniters can
be very dangeorus.always discharge
the caps and tube before poking
around in there.sorry if i stepped
on anyone toes.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

no problem,,, your not stepping on anyones toes..
safety advice is always welcomed..