A simple switch...

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
rhahm

A simple switch...

Post by rhahm »

Hi,<p>I need to make a simple electronic switch that operates like this:<p>When I press a momentary minibutton switch(no)a circuit closes and turns on a small lamp. When I press the same momentary switch again the circuit opens and the lamp goes off.<p>(Press momentary on switch once and lamp goes on; press again and lamp goes
off.)<p>Needs to work with 12v ac and dc low current source.<p>Any help appreciated,<p>RH
unknown_entity

Re: A simple switch...

Post by unknown_entity »

They actually make latching push buttons to do just that. Push it once the switch closes push again and it opens.
rhahm

Post by rhahm »

I know, but I need to do it this way as in addition to the mechanical switch there is an electronic device that also pulses the circuit to ground. When I send that pulse I want it to act like a switch.<p>RH
cahartmanjr

Post by cahartmanjr »

Use a "D" type flip-flop. Your button connects to the clock input, ~Q connects to D, and Q drives your relay (with appropriate driving transistor).
russlk

Post by russlk »

You should put an R-C filter between the switch and the clock input so contact bounce doesn't look like multiple switch closures.