DVD Trouble

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
compudel

DVD Trouble

Post by compudel »

I have a Sony Model DVP-S560D which displays the message "NO DISC" when I install a DVD Disc. I assume this means that something is out of alignment and the optical reader can read the disc. Maybe the optics has become defective? Any suggestions on what I can do to restore the system or realign the carriage system if necessary? I know Sony televisions have a procedure to download the code when trouble is apparent. Anyone has any experience with this problem?<p>Thanks in advance,
Robert
brucenelson

Re: DVD Trouble

Post by brucenelson »

The normal sequence to troubleshoot this is #1 clean the optical lens. #2 replace the optical pick-up. These are now self adjusting so there are no longer any adjustments other than an output adjustment that should be made with a laser power meter. Bruce.
ajc-28

Post by ajc-28 »

DVD player trouble? That's why I buy the cheapest DVD player I can find. I have seen lots of sales in the $30 to $40 range. When your DVD player goes bonkers you throw it away and get a new one. They are not made to be repaired. Would you spend $30.00 on repair parts?
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

thats why i cannot make me no more mad money on the side no more..
industry has become a disposable society...
cheaper to buy new rather than repair..
also everything is becoming microelectronics
surface mount etc..
so its bout impossible for us to find parts or have the tools to repair them...
thats why i am out of the buisness now...
i am stuck in hobby mode now...
sigh!
compudel

Post by compudel »

Thanks for the feedback on the DVD problem. I agree with the two replies about the cost of parts and what is available today for the same money. This DVD is a Sony Model DVP-S560D, and as usual, Sony typically add future enhancements that you don't find in low cost sets. The DVD player hasn't been used that often, and probably a cleaning of the lens as suggested by one feedback will do the job. This DVD player has 5.1 Audio Output, video component outputs, optical (digital) output, 2 sets of S-Video output, and 2 sets of RCA video outputs. For its age it still gives me a lot of outputs to setup today's home entertainment systems. On high-end Sony sytems you get a lot of tomorrows features, which allows you to use component systems longer than normal. I think inactivety is the problem with the lens and not necessarily quality. Sony typically allows their repair houses access to codes that will clue you in on the problem at hand when repairs or needed. I have a Sony 27-inch television that I can use my remote to pull up the defect codes and display them on the screen. This is very helpful for individuals who don't do repair for a living, but have the background to fix most problems.
This is similar to having a problem with your vehicle. There are automotive parts shops that will download an engine light code. This code can take you in a lot of different directions if you don't know how the systems interact. The joy of working with technology is the chase of solving technical problems, and new designs as well as improvements on old designs. You can't place a price on resolving technical problems. There is a wealth of knowledge to be learned, when you do resolve such a problem. Students at the university level are paying a tremendous price to learn the theory behind technical systems. To be able to take that technical knowledge and apply it to a real world scenario is icing on the cake. It is not worth it if you don't learn anything from it. After all, living is a continuum of learning how to eliminate and deal with problems. This kind of knowledge is priceless.<p>Robert
compudel

Post by compudel »

Thanks for the feedback on the DVD problem. I agree with the two replies about the cost of parts and what is available today for the same money. This DVD is a Sony Model DVP-S560D, and as usual, Sony typically add future enhancements that you don't find in low cost sets. The DVD player hasn't been used that often, and probably a cleaning of the lens as suggested by one feedback will do the job. This DVD player has 5.1 Audio Output, video component outputs, optical (digital) output, 2 sets of S-Video output, and 2 sets of RCA video outputs. For its age it still gives me a lot of outputs to setup today's home entertainment systems. On high-end Sony sytems you get a lot of tomorrows features, which allows you to use component systems longer than normal. I think inactivety is the problem with the lens and not necessarily quality. Sony typically allows their repair houses access to codes that will clue you in on the problem at hand when repairs or needed. I have a Sony 27-inch television that I can use my remote to pull up the defect codes and display them on the screen. This is very helpful for individuals who don't do repair for a living, but have the background to fix most problems.
This is similar to having a problem with your vehicle. There are automotive parts shops that will download an engine light code. This code can take you in a lot of different directions if you don't know how the systems interact. The joy of working with technology is the chase of solving technical problems, and new designs as well as improvements on old designs. You can't place a price on resolving technical problems. There is a wealth of knowledge to be learned, when you do resolve such a problem. Students at the university level are paying a tremendous price to learn the theory behind technical systems. To be able to take that technical knowledge and apply it to a real world scenario is icing on the cake. It is not worth it if you don't learn anything from it. After all, living is a continuum of learning how to eliminate and deal with problems. This kind of knowledge is priceless.<p>Robert
pberry

Post by pberry »

How do you get trouble codes from a Sony?<p>I can't tell if this happens with every DVD, or just a few. You may have run into a format compatability problem if it is happening with a DVD that was recorded on somebody's PC or home DVD recorder. The commercial pre-recorded DVD format should work on all players, but there are also DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW. Sony is the driving force behind either the "+" or the "-" formats, I don't recall which. If it was recorded on the other type of media, it may not work on your player. I say 'may not' because there are multi-format players out there.
Edd

Post by Edd »

That particular “Sunny” model is quite a troublesome beast, but I see that this info is still in archives, so tap into it and check out and see if any of its coincidental/common electro/mechan faults proves to be of any help in your situation. Howeve, my money would be on a fact revised (version upgrade) of its 64 pin micro flat pack controller for ~$42.50……., so you would really have to luv that bunny.
http://206.131.241.58/ubb/ultimatebb.ph ... 1&t=001369 <p>pberry:
The Sony fault codes are hidden within the factory service menu as well as the blink sequence on the front display LED’s when the set is turned on and it is inoperative or experiencing certain faults.<p>73's de Edd
[email protected] ........(Interstellar~~~~Warp~~~Speed)
[email protected]........(Firewalled-Spam*Cookies*Crumbs)
;) ;)