12C509 programming

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Will

Re: 12C509 programming

Post by Will »

dacflyer,
For about 23 bucks, including S & H you can get from Carl's Electronicss a CK 1700 kit which includes a OIC 16F84A chip , PC board and all of the components (Including the PC interface DB 25 male) necessary to (a) Build an elementary programmer with which your PC can communicate and (b) build a small circuit which (using the same PIC chip in another socket) flashes 5 LED's in a pre-selected routine. The manual and software can be downloaded from a given site address. This kit was recommended to me by someone on this forum (For which thank you !) and it is perfect for first time programming
BB
Lin Farquhar

Post by Lin Farquhar »

check out rev-ed.co.uk
their PicAxe system is a bootstrapped PIC, programmable in BASIC. Software is a free download with full tutorials. Programming hardware doesn't come much simpler than 2 resistors and a D9 plug.
I have no connection with Rev-ed, just a satisfied user, and yes, I can program pics in native assembler. It's just so much easier with the BASIC compiler for quick 1 offs.
Rgds, Lin
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

thanks guys... i will look into it..
cammhifi

Post by cammhifi »

Hi
I learnt to program them and use them regularly. Do a Google search for Talking Electronics in Australia and order their cd. This is the best micro controller course I have seen.<p>Mac
Talking Electronics
josmith

Post by josmith »

Dac:
I feel your programming pain.
If you need to get your project going there is nothing like pic basic. I know that it deminishes the capability of the chip and "real programmers" scoff at it but it will do most projects with no prior knowledge of programming on your part. There are simple commands for serial communication,switch interfaces,pot interfaces,and analog output. You can also do simple math and use lookup and lookdown tables to simplify inputs and outputs. It's all in the manual in plain english. <p>Assembly language requires that you have a working knowledge of the chip you're using and it's instruction set. The pic isn't one of the easier chips to learn because it's small instruction set puts more burden on you to do procedures. Look at the examples in mac's link(good one!) where they decrement,test,and decide where to go in the program. Some of the old intel chips like 8x48 and 8x51's have a single instruction to that entire procedure and other more nightmarish ones like interupts. Again some will scoff at these old chips but keep in mind that they are the ancestors of the most used chips in the world.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

ok,, will look into this too,,,sometime this weekend,,thanx
cammhifi

Post by cammhifi »

Hi
The best place to look is Talking Electronics who teach you from scratch on this very chip. Lots of info, ideas and projects:
http://www.talkingelectronics.com/te_in ... index.html<p>Mac
JPKNHTP

Post by JPKNHTP »

-JPKNHTP
-God Bless
Michael J

Post by Michael J »

Dacflyer, go check out, rev-ed.co.uk or picaxe.co.uk, same thing as Lin Farquhar suggested.
They have taken the PIC12F675 / PIC12F683 and inserted their own Bootstrap program into them.
They then sell them as the Picaxe-08/08M, now in doing this they have used most of the internal
memory, you now only have around 256 Bytes to play with, But they have their own programmer
software that a 10 year old kid can write code with. They have done the same thing with the
larger chips in the PIC family also, they have
much more memory to begin with so not as noticable. The new programmer is actually fun to use, probably at the disgust of the serious die hard programmers.
These things are really fun, they even have 4 pre-loaded ringtone type songs as standard.<p> :)