Basic programming?

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
Sneakygizmo

Basic programming?

Post by Sneakygizmo »

I am interested in learning how to program i am wanting to learn game programming mainly would anyone know any sites, resources, etc. on a good way to learn game programming?
Bigglez

Re: Basic programming?

Post by Bigglez »

*** Redacted by poster ***
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Assuming you are not a beginner, you might want to join one of the open source projects on developer websites like www.sourceforge.net

Try to find a project with lots of members and actively in development if you want to make a contribution. Otherwise many of the projects have all source code, forums and access to the developersto ask questions and make request/suggestions.

If you're not too needy, this seems like a good way to get some peer to peer mentoring in specific software areas. Even if you are a newbie, the open source way is good, you will just take longer before contributing.
Sneakygizmo

Post by Sneakygizmo »

What platform are you considering?
Do you have any other computer programming skills?
Have you taken any classes in computer science,
digital electronics, mathmatics?
Ok, well I'm a sophomore lol in high school so i'll try and answer these the best i can possibly can.
Platform? If I know what you mean then computer
Other programming skills? Besides setting up macros in World of Warcraft no lol
Classes? no computer science, or digital electronics, but i did algebra last year and in geometry this year *shrugs*
NOTE: father works at honeywell so he has friends that can help me out.
Assuming you are not a beginner, you might want to join one of the open source projects on developer websites like www.sourceforge.net

Try to find a project with lots of members and actively in development if you want to make a contribution. Otherwise many of the projects have all source code, forums and access to the developersto ask questions and make request/suggestions.

If you're not too needy, this seems like a good way to get some peer to peer mentoring in specific software areas. Even if you are a newbie, the open source way is good, you will just take longer before contributing.
all newbie here all!....i think. but i will check out that website thank you :D
[/quote]
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Platform? If I know what you mean then computer
I believe he means what kind of computer then what operating system then what programming language. Mac, PC, XP, Linux, C, C++, VB, java, and a host of other acronyms.

If you really want to be a programmer I would go with the mainstream for now where there are lots of examples and help and IMO that would be Visual Basic for Windows, latest version. You could go straight for C but there is a bit more of a learning curve before you can become productive (actually compile and run a program). You can move into C gradually as you need modules for VB programs or when you go to college.

If you really want to get into a game related software field I might recommend you get a game developer kit and work on detailed characters, worlds and plots as these will distinguish you as the game artist rather than just a coder. Later as you become knowledgable about the tools (software languages and compilers) preferred by the gaming pros and learn a bit more about their methods, you can move into actual program coding in C or whatever is used at the time (java, activeX, etc).

You're certainly young enough that you should investigate all of these possibilities to see which one suits you best in terms of personality and intellegence. The website I linked is a good roll model to watch. This is a formal way of collaborating on S/W projects with multiple developers (which is usually the case in the professional world). Significant contributions here could be used on a resume after graduation.

Most self taught programmers I know simply choose a challenge ( a program they want to write) and dive in researching what they need for the current project as they go. Often the first projects are modifications of otherwise working programs as a starting point. VB comes with tutorial examples for this purpose as do most compilers.

An easier language than VB might be javascript or ActiveX run in a web browser or some other web based graphics code. Possibly more examples and help on the web with these.

I guess you just need a specific goal and we can help you see how to get there.
Bigglez

Post by Bigglez »

Sneakygizmo

Post by Sneakygizmo »

Ok, I will try and answer these to the best of my ability.
I believe he means what kind of computer then what operating system then what programming language. Mac, PC, XP, Linux, C, C++, VB, java, and a host of other acronyms.

If you really want to be a programmer I would go with the mainstream for now where there are lots of examples and help and IMO that would be Visual Basic for Windows, latest version. You could go straight for C but there is a bit more of a learning curve before you can become productive (actually compile and run a program). You can move into C gradually as you need modules for VB programs or when you go to college.

If you really want to get into a game related software field I might recommend you get a game developer kit and work on detailed characters, worlds and plots as these will distinguish you as the game artist rather than just a coder. Later as you become knowledgable about the tools (software languages and compilers) preferred by the gaming pros and learn a bit more about their methods, you can move into actual program coding in C or whatever is used at the time (java, activeX, etc).

You're certainly young enough that you should investigate all of these possibilities to see which one suits you best in terms of personality and intellegence. The website I linked is a good roll model to watch. This is a formal way of collaborating on S/W projects with multiple developers (which is usually the case in the professional world). Significant contributions here could be used on a resume after graduation.

Most self taught programmers I know simply choose a challenge ( a program they want to write) and dive in researching what they need for the current project as they go. Often the first projects are modifications of otherwise working programs as a starting point. VB comes with tutorial examples for this purpose as do most compilers.

An easier language than VB might be javascript or ActiveX run in a web browser or some other web based graphics code. Possibly more examples and help on the web with these.

I guess you just need a specific goal and we can help you see how to get there.
Well I have a Dell XPS 420 with Windows Vista if that helps. About specific well I am going to Full Sail College for Game Designing and I realizied that Programming is part of it I believe. That's really about the most specific I can get. But, maybe this will help, mainly when I say game design I mean like RPG's (Role Playing Game) like World of Warcraft if you have ever heard of it. So that's the most specific I can get I think.

The programing that you've done is at a very high level,
and you have not been involved with the details such
as game theory (strategy); GUI (Graphical User Interface);
database; and hardware drivers. (Hint: look these up
in Wikipedia as homework).

Next, you need to decide where you strengths lay.
Do you like doing any of the following:
Puzzles (crosswords, SUDOKU, IQ tests)?
Art (Cartoons, sketching, painting)?
Process Control or Database (bookkeeping, logging)?
Game Strategy (learning rules and planing how to play)?
Solving Abstract Math Problems (Algebra, Logic)?

All of these are needed to design a computer
game from scratch. Only a small part of the process
is "coding", meaning writing code and testing it.

If you would like to jump in and experience computer
programming on the PC Windows (Wintel) platform,
then buy a copy of Visual Basic (VB). Perhaps your
school can give you this if you plead your case.

This tool will give you programming exposure with
minimum learning curve and no need to delve
into the inner working of the OS or hardware.

A good beginner project is to write a VB game
that plays Tic-Tac-Toe (aka Naughts and Crosses)
for one or two players using the keyboard or the
mouse. Doing so will use all of the disciplines
that game writers need for their commercial
projects.
Puzzles? I do SUDOKU and crosswords in the newspaper a lot.
Art? Sketching mainly.
Game Strategy? I like learning ways to improve my gameplay i.e world of warcraft macros if you have heard of them, and new tactics and plans on certain things I do in the game when fighting, raiding<---20-40 man party fighting together, and battlegrounds<---player versus player (PVP), pretty much anything to help me win and succeed in the game.

NOTE: my name is Ron
Bigglez

Post by Bigglez »

haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Since you have plenty of time I would just take a look at the whole gaming industry and understand what parts are what. For example there is a person who writes code for the game engine and probably a different person who creates characters objects and plots using the game engine. The two tasks are quite different. If you live in or go to school in a city where game software companies operate, maybe you can get a job as a tester to get a foot in the door.

As for hardware you should pay attention to PC trends and what kind of hardware makes the best gaming PC and why. Graphic card specs and video modes are important vocabulary for high res gaming. Don't get too hung up on whats hot today, it will change but do learn the lingo.

To learn about hardware or software any of the many gaming magazines and websites will have more information than you can absorb at once (more than I for sure) Start anywhere interesting and go from there.
Sneakygizmo

Post by Sneakygizmo »

Okay, that's a wise choice. As a HS sophomore I take it you
will enroll for a BS degree in a couple of years?
Yes, I am going there for my Bachelors in Science Degree.
Since you have plenty of time I would just take a look at the whole gaming industry and understand what parts are what. For example there is a person who writes code for the game engine and probably a different person who creates characters objects and plots using the game engine. The two tasks are quite different. If you live in or go to school in a city where game software companies operate, maybe you can get a job as a tester to get a foot in the door.

As for hardware you should pay attention to PC trends and what kind of hardware makes the best gaming PC and why. Graphic card specs and video modes are important vocabulary for high res gaming. Don't get too hung up on whats hot today, it will change but do learn the lingo.

To learn about hardware or software any of the many gaming magazines and websites will have more information than you can absorb at once (more than I for sure) Start anywhere interesting and go from there.
Ok, well I think I understand what your trying to say, I mainly want to go to Full Sail as a Game Designer, like i said earlier programming is just part of because you write codes for the characters, background, etc. If you could please refer some websites for game programming/designing, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. :D :D :D
philba

Post by philba »

walk before you run. learn to program first. it doesn't really matter what you learn as long as it's a structured language. In fact, I would say don't over focus on games. Just like learning to drive isn't about going to the beach (or where ever you want to go), you should focus on the art of programming. Object oriented design is highly recommended. I'd suggest C/C++ as a first language. It's the lingua franca of computers these days. Once you learn one, the next is pretty easy. Is it possible to take a course at your local community college? Having a real instructor and other students to interact with is really helpful. Probably also gets you extra credit at school and on your college application. Worth the extra effort.

I would also spend some time learning data structures. This is about building a tool kit that you can draw on as you create programs. Representing data in an efficient manner is key to writing good software.

You probably should also learn Flash. It's good for quickly creating prototypes and semi-live story-boards.
Bigglez

Post by Bigglez »

philba

Post by philba »

I still recommend programming. A game designer has to understand what is possible and what isn't. Plus, game programmer is a good career step to designer. I know a number of guys in the industry and they all started as programmers and then moved up. A number of them, including the head of a games house, spent a number of years as program managers. But they got their start a programmers.
Bigglez

Post by Bigglez »

haklesup

Post by haklesup »

The OP hasn't grasped the wisdom that you (and others)
have developed over many years of life experience.
The OP will figure it out just like the rest of us. 5 years of college will definitely help. The harsh reality is that the first job we get, the one which often points our career is determined by the economy, your location and what's in the help wanted section when you graduate.

OTOH, it only takes 4-6 talented persons straight out of college to start a game company from scratch. The market and technology should be well ahead of today by then in several technical areas (resolution, intelligence, speech recognition and generation, input devices, etc.). Who knows what new mobile device will be hot for gaming.

As for websites just try googling "video gaming magazine" or something similar. Maybe sign up for one or two of their email newsletters. That's a good way to get a feel for what the industry is talking about now, in other words, the technology's jagged edge.

Gaming right now is a good industry, it makes money even in bad economic times and probably will remain healthy for a while so it is a good career path but not quite as flexible as a general purpose computer science or electrical engineering degree. I'm not sure there are BS degrees in gaming specifically anyway, what program/school are you looking at?

BTW, I don't play many games so I see the subject dispassionately