VB.NET 2003 newbe

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
GaryR

VB.NET 2003 newbe

Post by GaryR »

I want to control stuff like stepper motors ,toaster ect from the parallel port. I have the required dll and it works fine for "testing" the port. I need an example code for turning on the pins of the data port, control port or status port. Something we could open in the visual studio would be nice.
I've tried for a year to find this. nobody will share, not for free anyway. I don't have $300 to spend on this.
The "test" program was all I could find. It works but there is no clue in the source code as to how you'd turn on indvidual pins. Axelson wasn't disposed to help. I do have C++.NET , that'd do just as well.

Thanks

GaryR
Sambuchi

Post by Sambuchi »

Heres and idea... just use Hyperterminal that comes on your PC.

You can set up a baud rate that you would like to use with a micro that has a serial port on it. Find yourself an ASCII chart and read the key strokes from a keyboard.

Different keys on the keyboard do different things! Simple!
JPKNHTP

Post by JPKNHTP »

-JPKNHTP
-God Bless
HighFrequency

Post by HighFrequency »

Can you talk to a parallel port with hyperterminal? I usually use it for serial comms.
There is only one correct answer, mine.
JPKNHTP

Post by JPKNHTP »

-JPKNHTP
-God Bless
Sambuchi

Post by Sambuchi »

hyperterminal is serial only... i skimmed over Gary's post and missed that he wanted to use the parallel port.

JPKNHTP, When i click your link, my browser doesnt load the page.
JPKNHTP

Post by JPKNHTP »

-JPKNHTP
-God Bless
GaryR

is port95nt.exe A linix thing?

Post by GaryR »

I downloaded port95nt.exe and on trying to unpack it noticed it says "driverslinix" I wasn't aware you could use linix in the visual studio or anyothere MS utilities. Last I knew Vb.net and C++.net where MicroSoft only.

GaryR
JPKNHTP

Post by JPKNHTP »

-JPKNHTP
-God Bless
GaryR

port95nt.exe

Post by GaryR »

Just on the off chance I missed something ,I open the file. There is a file in it for VB6. On trying to open in the visual studio it says the file is corrupt. Even if the file had been ok, I've yet to see a vb6 file that will work with the upgrade wizard in visual studio. This is one of the main reasons so few people went to VB.NET. It's so very different from VB6. Oh well, maybe some day somebody will break the code of silence and share some vb.net code on this subject, but I ain't going to hold my breath.

GaryR