Terribly new question.

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
distilledred

Terribly new question.

Post by distilledred »

I have gotten to the point in my attempted project where I need to program a Cypress CY7C63001A. Now I have no experience in such things and truth be told I am probably in way over my head for a first project, but it sounded like a good idea at the time. My question is how do I program the chip? What programmer should I get? I found the one cypress sold formerly in a kit dealing specifically with this chip here.

However for $100 I would like to see a litte more versatility in a programmer (couldn't actually find too much info on it, but found a reference to it as the programmer for this chip in a pdf). Is that possible, most of the universal programmers I have seen are quite a bit more than $100. Any thoughts, suggestions, and/or comments are appreciated.

Also, if it helps or anyone is interested, I am trying to recreate this.

Thank you.
"Tis through no fault of Magus that Lavos lives."
Sambuchi

Post by Sambuchi »

Well for hardware you will need something along this schematic

http://www.eidusa.com/Electronics_Kits_ ... PI_BUS.htm

I have never programed one of these chips before.. and dont see a compiler for that product on the net during my quick search.
redrocker

Post by redrocker »

This chip is an OTP (one time programmable). Go with a different USB chip for your project. The June edition of N&V has an article about creating an USB interface with a Microchip PIC. Investments in programming hardware for PIC's would likely be of more use in future projects.
distilledred

Post by distilledred »

Thank you for your replies. The only reason I am stuck with this chip is because of my lack of experience and because the code was written for this chip, and I do not know how to convert it for use on another chip. As I said, it is for a the specific project listed above. Not the most up to date project, using not the most up to date chip, no doubt part of the reason for my difficulty thus far. Any other thoughts?

Thanks again.
JPKNHTP

Post by JPKNHTP »

-JPKNHTP
-God Bless
distilledred

Post by distilledred »

I really would like to build it myself, that is half the appeal to me. I would be very grateful if you were able to find such a design. The one I referenced was the only one I was able to come across, and even that took a fair amount of effort. Thanks.
JPKNHTP

Post by JPKNHTP »

-JPKNHTP
-God Bless
distilledred

Post by distilledred »

I am tring to make the N64 controller mod. I recently came across the speed run videos for Mario 64 and Zelda: OoT and I simply must play these games again now, ha. I was able to find this parellel port guide, and to be honest, I recall seeing this once before but was a bit scared of it as it used more components than the usb version.

But I must say I am a bit confused by those 4006 cmos chips, what are those? Do they not need to be programmed? I couldn't find any mention of code, which seems like something that would have been included in such a detailed guide should it be necessary to the sucess of the project.
JPKNHTP

Post by JPKNHTP »

-JPKNHTP
-God Bless
distilledred

Post by distilledred »

Looks to be about 18 or so components:
http://arcadecontrols.com/Mirrors/emula ... /index.htm

The code for the uC was written and it used fewer components, so to me it seemed the natural first choice. However, the difficulty and expense of programming the uC does seem to disqualify it as the easiest route to take.