Code protect

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
hassan1980

Code protect

Post by hassan1980 » Sun May 01, 2005 2:59 pm

Hi, <p>Is there a way for reading the HEX file for protected Micros Like {PIC, ATMEL and AVR}?<p>Please let me know.

dyarker

Re: Code protect

Post by dyarker » Sun May 01, 2005 7:33 pm

Not very good protection if it was easy to do, heh?
Dale Y

L. Daniel Rosa

Post by L. Daniel Rosa » Sun May 01, 2005 8:09 pm

Yes.

philba

Post by philba » Sun May 01, 2005 8:20 pm

If your are trying steal some one's code, I'd like to remind you about the copyright laws. That said, there are places in the former soviet union and china that can peel the lid off a PIC and read the code via a microscope. Not cheap. And using a copy of the code in a product you sell is not only a copyright violation but, because using a lab shows intent, you are also subject triple damages as well as criminal prosecution.

bodgy

Post by bodgy » Mon May 02, 2005 3:35 am

If you are just curious about what the program looks like for whatever it is your processor does, then I suggest a google search for whatever your processor does is more than likely to bring up code snippets or even full code on how the device functions.<p>Besides apart from reading the code back out of a uP you'll also need a disassembler to convert the hex back into human readable format.<p>Then you'll need to take time to follow the program jumps etc, which isn't always easy. Depends a little on the output of the disassembler.<p>Do you have a specific reason for needing to read protected code?<p>Colin
On a clear disk you can seek forever.