VB Packaging

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
chapter30

VB Packaging

Post by chapter30 »

I can not get a VB program to run on a machine without VB. I run the package wizard on the program but the other machines I put it on always reply with a message that reads something about the files needing to be updated. <p>Any suggestions? <p>I have downloaded a thing called VB run time files but there is still no change.
dyarker

Re: VB Packaging

Post by dyarker »

Programs written in VB 4 need VBRUN400, VB 5 need VBRUN500, VB 6 need VBRUN600. (not sure I got the VBRUN names right) You don't have install the complete VB on each PC, just the VBRUN.<p>VB.net programs need the dot net environment installed. (download from MS, too big for a floppy)<p>I bought VB5 years ago. This is part of the reason I switched back to PowerBASIC.<p>Cheers,
Dale Y
chapter30

Post by chapter30 »

Dale,<p>Is the VBRun file already on my machine if I have VB6.0 installed or do I ned to search for a download? I can't locate the file but I might have the exact name wrong.<p>I've been able to get all of my programs to run on other machines unless they use the MSComm control. If the MSComm control is needed I get all sorts of different errors. Is there a chance that Microsoft restricts the distribution of these type of programs? More likely I'm just not doing something right.<p>Does anyone know of a book that goes into detail on the subject of packaging and distribution of VB programs?
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

The distribution of VB is restricted EXCEPT for the VBRun. VB would be pretty useless if the files needed to run couldn't be distributed with programs created in VB. (I think VB is useless anyway, but I have additional reasons and that's just me. A lot of people write good programs with VB and like it.)<p>VB Help or the license should have the names of files that can/should be distributed with VB programs you write. Search on that/those name(s). As a guess, it will be in the directory where VB is installed, or C:/Windows/system32, or under c:/Documents and Settings/All Users somewhere.<p>Any VB6 user, please feel free to step in and correct me.<p>Good luck Jeff, I can't help any more with this one.
Dale Y
hp

Post by hp »

The re-distributable file list can be found in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\REDIST.TXT
chapter30

Post by chapter30 »

I found the list. MSComm is on it. I guess I thought the Package and Deployment Wizard would automatically bundle the required files together.<p>This is getting pretty frustrating. I think I'm going to look for an alternative to Visual Basic. I figured VB would be best for me since I learned it in school but it's proving very difficult to learn anything about distribution.<p>Thanks for the help.<p>I need to learn C anyway.
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

VBRun60.exe at MS page has instructions too. Should also be on the VB6 CD. And during VB6 install, it should have been copied to hard drive.
Dale Y
chapter30

Post by chapter30 »

I figured out that if I install MDAC_TYP the program will run on any machine that I test it on. I guess I'll try to get that file to install automatically when the user goes through the setup. <p>My VB does not have any help files installed on it. I'm going to look into this too.<p>Thanks for all the help.