Free Not-For-Resale Copy of Visual Basic .NET 2003 Stand

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
John Paul

Free Not-For-Resale Copy of Visual Basic .NET 2003 Stand

Post by John Paul »

If you watch and rate five Vb movies Microsoft will give you a free copy of Vb.net 2003.<p>QUOTE:<p>"Free Not-For-Resale Copy of Visual Basic .NET 2003 Standard Edition*<p>Welcome to VB at the Movies. The 101 short films below will provide everybody from the beginner through the advanced developer with an opportunity to amp up their Visual Basic skills. In true studio fashion, we’re releasing two categories each week, so check back often to catch the latest releases.<p>Let us know what you think. View and rate five movies, then sign up to receive your redemption code e-mail entitling you to a complimentary Not-For-Resale copy of Visual Basic .NET 2003 Standard Edition.*<p>Grab your popcorn and soda, sit back and enjoy!"<p>
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbasic/atthemovies/<p>John Paul.
Mike

Re: Free Not-For-Resale Copy of Visual Basic .NET 2003 Stand

Post by Mike »

hey thats pretty neat!<p>i'm doing it now
John Paul

Post by John Paul »

Yep I ordered mine about a week ago.<p>John Paul.
Mike

Post by Mike »

just wondering, do they ship it to you or do you have to download it?
John Paul

Post by John Paul »

They ship it to you. It says to allow four to six weeks for shipment. :) <p>John Paul.<p>[ May 25, 2004: Message edited by: John Paul ]</p>
Mike

Post by Mike »

Have you rcieved yours yet?<p>i don't know why I havent. maybe im just too impatient...??? I think its been 4 weeks already, and the last thing i ordered from them, one of those free security update cds said 4-6 weeks but came in 1 week.
John Paul

Post by John Paul »

Yep, About five weeks and it got here.<p>It also comes with the 130 page book "Getting started with Vb.NET 2003" And three CDs with the MSDN library.<p>I had never done any kind of programming before but I'm beginning to learn.<p>John Paul.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Wow, thats a great deal. I can't believe they give you a book.<p>OK, its only been about 3-4 weeks, so I guess I'll keep waiting.<p>Visual Basic is a fun and easy language to work with. I'm sure you'll find it simple to learn, yet able to create powerful apps. I like how the commands are simple, such as Form.Title="Hello". Thats all needed to change the title of a form.<p>[ June 13, 2004: Message edited by: Mike ]</p>
John Paul

Post by John Paul »

Yes, designing the forms and setting the properties is simple. You just draw them and then enter the properties you want, but learning all the code is what I have been trying to get the hang of in the past week.<p> :cool: <p>John Paul.
hp

Post by hp »

I really dislike VB.net because it requires the target pcs to have the .net framework installed (which is about 43mb). It seems like visual studio .net is like java (which also sucks because of the java virtual machine versions and stuff). VB.net is also a big change from vb 6 because it is more object oriented and it is not as user friendly because it requires 'better' coding then vb6 did.<p>You should take a look at C#. It is very cool in the aspect that it uses vb form design with c++ coding.<p>HP
John Paul

Post by John Paul »

Thanks hp, but the only reason I got started in Vb.NET is because they offer it free, and I don't believe C# is exactly free. Also, the .NET framework comes standered on XP.<p>John Paul.<p>[ June 14, 2004: Message edited by: John Paul ]<p>[ June 14, 2004: Message edited by: John Paul ]</p>
Mike

Post by Mike »

wait, can't you make applications such ss with VB5 or 6?
hp

Post by hp »

The design part is the same. But the syntax is slightly different. There are more controls which is a plus. Other than that, the applications are the same.<p>HP
Mike

Post by Mike »

no i meant is there a way to create vb 6 programs that don't need the net framework? and woulnd't c# .net need it also?<p>I just got mine yesterday. Installed fine, but then the computer died that night, i guess i had a corrupted partition from a bad hard drive and installing that was just too much for it.<p>i cant believe they sent me 6cds and a book. oh, can't forget the poster-sized license agreement. :)
hp

Post by hp »

All the programs created with .net studio require the .net framework. I haven't used .net since I noticed that it required the .net framework.<p>HP