Visual Basic

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
John Paul

Visual Basic

Post by John Paul »

Sometime I would like to try visual basic but I went to look at the latest version and it was over $100.00 does anyone know if there are previous versions that can be bought and downloaded that would work ok.<p>Thanks, John Paul.
Bernius1

Re: Visual Basic

Post by Bernius1 »

Not aware. But I read your last post. My bro' showed me this site:
free code snippets I wanted to try an interactive kids' video game, where photos or kid-drawn .jpeg's would be the characters, so Bro' said 'do-it-yourself here' (codearchive). He said the only game he would waste time writing would be a version of "Devil's Advocate" (from The Simpsons).
Can't we end all posts with a comical quip?
John Paul

Post by John Paul »

Thanks, John Paul
John Paul

Post by John Paul »

What version of Visual basic does everybody use?

Post by avatar_d »

The latest and greatest is VB.NET. VB6 - working edition is available as a freebee with certain books on the subject. It is functional but does not allow stand-alone applications to be built. In other words, you need the development system (or more accurately, certain files from the system) to run the application.
My copy came from the book "Teach Yourself Visual Basic in 24 Hours" by Sams. ISBN 0-672-31533-5. I can't say for certain, but I would be willing to bet that Sams also has an updated "Teach Yourself..." book for VB.NET.
Clyde Crashkop

Post by Clyde Crashkop »

QBasic and GW Basic are easy and work plenty fast on computers 500Mhz and faster. I do assembly and visual C++ for Windows but I still use the old free GW Bisic for quickies. I would suggest QBasic because it has help files and supports a mouse and editor. It was free with Windows 3.1. I don't know if they stopped including it. It is a DOS program but if you put a shortcut to it or any program you write on your desktop it akts just like a windows program.
rshayes

Post by rshayes »

GW Basic and QBasic were both old DOS programs. They do not use a Graphical User Interface (GUI). Visual Basic works with a GUI. All code is related to the GUI in Visual Basic, and the interface must be configured before code can be written or executed. This can be a lot of trouble if only simple programs are desired.<p>QBasic came in two forms, compiled and interpreted. The compiled version generated executable files (.exe). These could be executed by themselves, without the QBasic compiler. The compiler was sold as a separate piece of software for generating MSDOS applications. A copy of this software might show up on eBay.<p>The interpreted version of QBasic was included with late versions of MSDOS. It generated basic files (.bas) which were executed by QBasic. Both the file and the program had to be in the system simultaneously.<p>The QBasic interpreter was also supplied in the CD versions of Windows 95. It was classified as supplemental material, and was not normally loaded as part of the Windows installation. On the Windows 95b CD, it was located in C:\other\oldmsdos\qbasic.exe. There is also a help file, qbasic.hlp. QBasic may also be available on the Microsoft web site. Here it is part of the supplemental contents for Windows 95. Look for a file called olddos.exe. When this is put in an empty folder and executed, it extracts a number of files into the same folder, among which are qbasic.exe and qbasic.hlp.<p>QBasic can be run in either a DOS window or in DOS mode. If you need access to the serial or parallel ports, you may have to use DOS mode instead of a DOS window.
John Paul

Post by John Paul »

Thanks for all the replys, I just wanted to try some basic programing and wondered what the cheapest option would be. <p>Thanks, John Paul.
Daggs

Post by Daggs »

I used yabasic "yet another basic" to get back into the programming mindset after two decades of not programming anything but the VCR. It seems ok, but the graphics are virtually nonexistant.
Casual Hero
Combat Gynecologist
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

I have information you might like. If you are still interested, send me a private message.<p>CeaSaR<p>[ August 31, 2004: Message edited by: CeaSaR. ]</p>
Hey, what do I know?
LucidGuppy

Post by LucidGuppy »

Man I wish I had someone else tell me this before I shelled out money for VB.net.<p>http://www.sharpdevelop.net/OpenSource/SD/Download/<p>is a gnu open source c# ide for that rests on top of the .net framework...<p>...but it also works with VB code. So go to MS and install the .net framework and then download sharp develop and you have a free version of vb.net.
Why don't you give yourself a nice big round of applause!
ashotg

Post by ashotg »

John Paul, do you have MS Office installed? You could start with Visual Basic for Applications (VBA), it's cool enough to give you some ideas on what VB is like. Just try to create a macro or two in Word, Excel, etc..<p>[ September 13, 2004: Message edited by: Ashot Geodakov ]</p>
rlang

Post by rlang »

I agree with Ashot Geodakov about learning VBA if you have a recent copy of Microsoft office. I just gave a training class on VB and because we couldn't by VB for the whole lab, I taught it using VBA in the lab's microsoft office. The class went well and there were only a few places where I had to point out differences such as how the programs are delivered and drag and drop.
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by John Paul:
Sometime I would like to try visual basic but I went to look at the latest version and it was ...<hr></blockquote><p>John Paul,<p>Look at my thread re: VB1 Help File in this forum. The last post has a very helpful link for you.<p>CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?