PBASIC II programming

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
egg0900

PBASIC II programming

Post by egg0900 »

I am wondering if you can program a bs2 to save data into a eeprom the same form it recieved?
wd5gnr

Re: PBASIC II programming

Post by wd5gnr »

I'm not sure I completely understand your question. The BS2 can use otherwised unused program space to save data. So presumably the answer is yes.<p>However, there are practical problems. Write to EEPROM is not very fast, so if you were trying to capture, say, 9600 baud data coming in large chunks, you won't be able to keep up. <p>Also, keep in mind that EEPROM has a definite life limit (about 1,000,000 writes on the Stamp). That sounds like a lot, but if you were writing data to the same cell, say, every 6 seconds, then that is 10 writes per minute and you endurance would be 100,000 minutes which is just over 69 days. So in 2 months you could start to see EEPROM failures.<p>You might be interested in the Basic Stamp FAQ I maintain at http://www.wd5gnr.com/stampfaq.htm<p>Good luck!
egg0900

Re: PBASIC II programming

Post by egg0900 »

WELL THIS IS THE SITUATION..... I AM TRYING TO MAKE THE BASIC STAMP II TO SAVE RAW DATA AS ASCII DATA ON A EXTERNAL EEPROM, BUT HAVING THE SAME STAMP ALSO HAVE A SECOND FEATURE OF SAVING ANOTHER SORCE OF ASCII DATA. BUT THE TIME BETWEEN THE TWO INPUTS WOULD BE LIKE 6 SECONDS BUT, THE STAMP ITSELF WOULD BE USED LIKE AT THE MOST EVERY 5 OR TEN MINUTES.