pic c compilers

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
Isenbergdoug

pic c compilers

Post by Isenbergdoug »

I am looking for a c compiler for pics than handles the 14-bit parts. Most specifically I need to program 16f872's and 16f77's. My most important need is a good math library. By this I mean one that has sin, cos, tan, arcsin, arctan, arcos... which compute in radians, not the 0-255 range of the BS2 and most of the trig assembly code that is on the net. Also, the basic math operators should be included, as well as support for signed floating point numbers.
So far I have narrowed my choices, mostly due to price range, to the CCS and CC5x compilers. I was wondering if anyone has used these and could provide some feedback as to dislike or likes. Also, I haven't seemed to find any other compilers, but are there any out there that are under the $200 range that will program these parts?
Would anyone ever be interested in making a free high level compiler for (all) PICs?
Doug
bodgy

Re: pic c compilers

Post by bodgy »

You might also want to look at <p>Wiz-Pic /Wiz-C from Forest Electronics, can be used with or without its rapid development environment.The CD has a header file creator program for any new pics that come along.<p>Comes in two versions standard and Pro.
Will also accept and convert CCS and Hitech C code to Fored's format.<p>Free demo download, can be unlockedForest Electronics<p>
Colin
On a clear disk you can seek forever.
wd5gnr

Post by wd5gnr »

For my money, the PIC 16 family's architecture is too odd for C. Yes, you can get C compilers but they aren't terribly efficient to me. Now the 18F -- that's a different story. For the 16's Basic is a good fit since the internal architecture maps well into the "virtual" architecture.<p>That being said:
http://www.piclist.com/techref/microchi ... age/cs.htm<p>SDDC looks great, but I've never got it to run.<p>The Atmel AVR and the Motorola HC12 both have excellent gcc (and gdb) support and their arcitectures are much more C-friendly.
Isenbergdoug

Post by Isenbergdoug »

Thanks for the links, I never thought of using piclist to find out about C... it's great!