Building a website (hope this is the right place)

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
myp71

Building a website (hope this is the right place)

Post by myp71 »

How do you get the computer to recognize a space when building a website under HTML codes (I hope thats what it is called) :)
Mike

Re: Building a website (hope this is the right place)

Post by Mike »

If what you mean is that you can only get one space between things, that is just some problem with the html language. If you need more spaces, hold down ALT, then 0160 on the numeric pad. that will insert a space.<p>Do you still want help with the site?
myp71

Post by myp71 »

Mike-I'll send you an e-mail
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

Use & nbsp; for multiple spaces. (remove the space between the "&" and the "n". had to put a space in to make it visable ;)
Ampersand it HTML escape character, nbsp is short for non-blocking space, the semicolon ends the escape.<p>For longer sections to maintain leading/multiple spaces, put the text between <pre></pre> tags.
Don't use <b r> inside <pre></pre>, or you'll get double line spacing.
pre is short for preformated.<p>CSS (Cascading style sheets) can be used to set padding.<p>Ignoring multiple spaces, carriage returns and line feeds is NOT a problem with HTML. It was designed in on purpose so that browsers could wrap text at the right side of the window. If you see a horizontal scoll bar, it is because a <t able> or <d iv> is setting the web page to a fixed width that is bigger than the window. For example look at this page. Grab the right edge of the window and make it smaller. First the text lines rearrange so you can read it without scrolling. When the N&V logo and the buttons won't go closer together the horizontal scroll bar appears at the bottom.<p>C U L -<p>MyP71 - Nice site are schematics and description pages "in work"?<p>Mike - Nice site too. But why are you giving electronic advice when you don't know electronics? (Don't connect transformers to DC, and LM78xx series regulators are rated for one Amp not "a few Amps".)<p>[ December 17, 2003: Message edited by: Dale Y ]</p>
Dale Y
myp71

Post by myp71 »

Ok That's the problem I do not have a way to put these circuit digrams on my coumputer then website.If I use a link to a page then you have to worry about the website copyright laws(yes I have seen them before) ;) <p>If anyone has ideas let me know
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

Copyright laws? If it is your circuit (not outright copy) and you draw the schematic, then you are the copyright holder. If you copied circuit and made changes, then attribute the original holder, and your changes and how you used it are your's. (like quotes, footnotes, etc)<p>If outright copy then link to other persons whole page (not just the diagram) in a popup. This analagous to book review.
< a h ref="www.xxxxxx.com/yyyyy.htm" target="_blank"><p>I create diagrams in CADD, capture to .bmp; or in MS Paint directly. I Save As .gif or .png in Micrografx because MS Paint changes colors when saving a .bmp in .gif. Upload .gif's/.png's to server same way as pages. If .gif is in same directory as .htm, then tag in your page looks like:
< i mg src="./draw1.gif" border="0">  (Spaces around "i" in img so won't mess up this page.)<p>C U L -
Dale Y
Mike

Post by Mike »

First, the ALT 0160 thing is the same as what you said Dale.<p>Second, thanks for the comment about the site. I know more than you think. Check out the site now. And when was I trying to get more than 1amp out of a 78xx regulator?? I have added and changed the site. And, isn't electronics about trial and error anyway? Also, I am not posting anything I am not sure I know.<p>Just wondering, is what I did here with the schematic copyright infringment?<p>http://www.electronet.5u.com/schematics ... lm4881.htm<p>I posted a schematic from the datasheet, but also wrote copyright national semiconductor and linked to national.com<p>One more thing, on the page below, is the descriptions for the classes correct?<p>http://www.electronet.5u.com/audio.htm<p>Basically, are my descriptions for the amp classes correct and the information about the types of amps?
myp71

Post by myp71 »

If you really want to know then yes the site is copyrighted and the national website under website terms then go to User Conduct and read this paragraph it says you shall not link with this site without permission of national.
But I would not worry too much if they find out they will just give you a warning they usually give minors only five to ten years for this kind of thing :D <p>I would not worry about it too much unless you are using the link for your personal gain and right now it does not look like it<p>[ December 19, 2003: Message edited by: my p71 ]</p>
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

Mike - right you are on alt0160, per www.w3.org HTML 4.01 spec it equivalent to & nbsp; The only difference is you can't tell it from a regular space in the HTML source code.<p>Can't find power supply page today, now it says "Coming soon". www.electronet.5u.com/audio.htm Class A/B can have positive "B" and negative "B" sections to drive a load as "A" without a transformer. I think my arguement is with your source not you. Lets change the subject and be friends!<p>All - www.w3.org has downloadable copies of HTML, CSS, other specs. Notetab Lite is a good (free) HTML source code editor with click to insert for tags and CSS attributes.<p>[ December 22, 2003: Message edited by: Dale Y ]</p>
Dale Y
Mike

Post by Mike »

yeah, i assumed that the audio page was wrong. i guessed most of it except for the class c thing by reading the latest issue of n&v bipolar transistor page. all of the class b amps had xformers and the class a didn't. class d i found out later doesnt stand for digital. i also found that mosfets don't run cool in class a mode.<p>i found this out with a forum started at www.diyaudio.com in the solid state section.<p>also, i need to draw up the schematics for the power supplies. on the other ones, such as the headphone amp and 386 amp, is the layout good, such as the text and pictures and the downloads and links thing to the right?<p>and is it really illegal to link to other sites? i just can't understand this. i myself would be glad for links to increase my hits.<p>thanks again,
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

Linking to other sites is legal, copying other's drawings, text, etc, is not legal.
(Unless they say it isn't. Strange attitude by National. probably bandwidth control, and they don't want a bad rep for dead links when they reorg their site!)<p>Copyright law was made for ink-on-paper. For examples of what's legal think about how it is done in books, magazines and newspapers. There are quotes, bibliographies, reprinted with permissions, etc.<p>Spec sheets are interesting. They are Copyrighted but manufacturers want you to use their parts and give them free advertising. READ the copyright notice, maybe it is OK to copy and repost.<p>-------------------------------------
The amplifier "classes" have nothing to do with transformers. Transformers are for impedence shifting and/or isolation and/or phase inversion.
Classes A, B and C describe the output wave form compared to the input wave form.<p>Class A - the full input signal is reproduced in the output. Usually with voltage gain, current gain, both. The signal may be inverted. Often with a DC offset that may be blocked from next stage by a capacitor, or used to bias the next stage. Full copy of input is characteristic of class A.<p>Class B - half the input signal is reproduced in the output.<p>Class C - less than half the input signal is used to make output. Common for RF power amps. A tuned circuit before the antenna "rings" full wave when "struck" by pulses at the resonant frequency.<p>Class A/B - Two B sections combined to give full wave output. In tube amps there will be a transformer. One tube drives one end of the primary with signal, another tube drives the other end with inverted signal. The CT may be connected to ground or plate voltage depending on design. Typically NPN/PNP (or N-channel/P-channel FETs) pairs in mirrored B sections in transistor amps.<p>Classes D and above - various digital synthesis schemes. (I don't even try to remember which-is-which.) There are pulse width modulation (PWM), pulse period modulation (PPM), combos of PWM/PPM, maybe a CVSD (continuously/constant varying slope delta) type. Sort'of a switching power supply driving a speaker. The output is filtered, and switching speed is faster than you can hear.<p>-----------------------
Spec sheet schematics are seldom exactly what you've built. You need to redraw anyway, and doing shift print screen the putting the image on your site is probably a bad idea.<p>C U L -
Dale Y
chessman

Post by chessman »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dale Y:

Classes D and above - various digital synthesis schemes. (I don't even try to remember which-is-which.) There are pulse width modulation (PWM), pulse period modulation (PPM), combos of PWM/PPM, maybe a CVSD (continuously/constant varying slope delta) type. Sort'of a switching power supply driving a speaker. The output is filtered, and switching speed is faster than you can hear.<p>
<hr></blockquote><p>
Yes I know, irrelevant, but Class D and above amps all sound like dog doo compared to a Class A or Class A/B amplifier in the audio spectrum
:D :p <p>And BTW Mike...from what your site shows that it was written by someone that knows next to nothing about audio amplifiers. I'm sure you know more now, but you might want to change that. It makes you look dumb.<p>[ January 03, 2004: Message edited by: chessman ]</p>
Mike

Post by Mike »

Yeah, congratulations on being the 100th person to point that out... :D I know, I've got 2 change it, just been busy with the holidays and stuff.<p>Thanks all of you for the help<p>-Mike
myp71

Post by myp71 »

Can I be the 101st person to point it out too :D <p>No,actually I need your opinion mike about my website. <p>On the circuit digrams page would it be ok do you think to write out the so called digrams on my page? Because I do not have a way to transfer them onto my coumpter Or do you think that it would be too confusing for other people to try and figure it out? <p>I have a little sample of it on my website if you want to check it out & let me know :cool:
Mike

Post by Mike »

Sorry to say, that can become a bit confusing. Especially with more advanced projects (building control panel boards and stuff) where you are saying like "connect the resistor to the capacitor, then connect them both across the collector and emitter of the transistor" That would be confusing. Can't you go to a copy shop and have your schematics scanned and transfered to a disk? Or I think Kinkos rents computers so they might rent scanners too??? Or download a copy of circuitmaker 4 free and transfer your schematics to that.<p>And if you can't get photos into the computer, that is going to be tough to explain how to put in stereos and amps and stuff. <p>Anyway, scanners are cheap now, i think you can get one for less than $40 if you look around.<p>-Mike