need tips on building a large screen calendar.

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
dacflyer

need tips on building a large screen calendar.

Post by dacflyer »

boss man has an idea for building a large screen (34" - 36") wall calendar.
i did look up some on the web. seen a few things like DAKboard or google calendar using a Rasberry-Pi. but they seem a little over my head as far as programming goes. And boss wants a touch screen type. we found a monitor that has such a large screen.
i am guessing it will be possible to adapt a larger monitor to the Pi. and it should recognize the touch screen the same as a smaller screen ?
but i think my issue is adding the ( not sure on my terminology here ) building a dashboard with widgets ?
he said he wants the calendar to where we can add notes to the dates, like when there will be meetings, or if someone will be off , or on vacation.
and maybe a current weather radar and forecast ? and maybe 1 or 2 other things. we don't need it to be too cluttered
i think i'd have no issue with hardware, except the programming. as i know nothing about Raspberry-Pi

has anyone made something like this ?
any tips are welcomed, thanks
kheston

Re: need tips on building a large screen calendar.

Post by kheston »

It's been some time since you asked for this, DacFlyer.

But, if the boss is still asking for a solution, here are some GitHub projects to reference:
https://github.com/search?q=touchscreen+calendar

Here's a more detail project walk-thru:
https://www.hanselman.com/blog/how-to-b ... ap-monitor
Kurt - SF Bay
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

thanks.. i'll look into it..
Boss sort of put this on the back burner, but i haven't given up yet.. boss needs to buy a monitor 1st..
and the proper raspberry Pi.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

IMO it would be cheaper and easier to operate if you just got a regular smart TV and cast the calendar to it from a tablet or phone. R-Pi is OK if you are familiar but there are plenty of small embedded PCs running Andriod, Windows or Linux that would be easier to configure if the TV itself didn't have screen cast already built in.

There are many choices on how to do that, you can stay in brand like all Samsung TV, Phone and tablet or you can get a media player with HDMI interface running Android, you can get generic android box online or go with a brand like Roku or chrome cast, apple tv etc.. There has got to be a suitable out of the box program for a calendar you can use in the android world
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

well the thing is,, also having the ability for others ( the guys in our group) to log into like gmail, and they can post their days off etc, or post notes/ events/ meetings etc.
having a monitor isn't an issue right now.. a touch screen would have been better,
i'm still working on this,, it's just been on the back burner for right now...
Carmelita

Post by Carmelita »

I don't know if you've solved this problem, but I've also recently made this touchable calendar a project option, only I will do a much smaller project than yours. I will probably only use an 8" or 10" screen and already have options. You want to use a very large size touch screen might be a big challenge.
You may want to take a look at the official Raspberry Pi touch screen if you are going to use the Raspberry Pi as a microcontroller.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/ra ... h-display/
The touch screen I use can also support Raspberry Pi.
https://www.stoneitech.com/
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

I been so busy at work..it's kinda been on the back burner..and also admin rights on a city computer...Grrr.
I plan to get back to it in the fall...hopefully.
but i haven't forgotten about it.. Will probably just use regular mouse and KB,,, unless i happen to find a large touch screen...sometimes things happen to fall in my lap...fingers crossed..
Carmelita

Post by Carmelita »

dacflyer wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:54 am I been so busy at work..it's kinda been on the back burner..and also admin rights on a city computer...Grrr.
I plan to get back to it in the fall...hopefully.
but i haven't forgotten about it.. Will probably just use regular mouse and KB,,, unless i happen to find a large touch screen...sometimes things happen to fall in my lap...fingers crossed..
Maybe try to customize one? All in all, good luck!