Router issue ( boot loop ) keeps resetting.

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
dacflyer

Router issue ( boot loop ) keeps resetting.

Post by dacflyer »

ok,, i have a Amped Wireless Router , model R20000G Dual band long range
this thing has been working fine for about 2 yrs now..lately i been getting a message on my laptop that says IP CONFLICT.
and the wifi has been dropping out here and there.. and it started getting worse. and now it went all stupid. all the lights are blinking like its having a seizure, then it reboots constantly. i cannot connect to it with hard wire or wireless. so i thought it was fried, because i couldn't connect to it for nothing... so i ordered me another one, and thought i'd just dump the config file into it that i was smart enough to save from the original set up. so the new unit comes in, and i start to set it up.. i was having a bit of an issue to even connect to it. when i got in i set things up.
and it seemed to work fine for about a whole 10 min.. then i noticed it started doing the same crap,,, WTF!
So i called up the tech guys at Amped Wireless, they worked with me for a good hour.. we tried all kinds of stuff, to no avail.
the tech guy seems to think that something might be interfering with it. i have checked everything i can think of that might be a source of interference
but no luck... i connected my old linksys router as a back up, and it works just fine, but it is only a single band router.
if anyone has any ideas, please let me know. I am out of work for a few days, thanks to a sprained ankle. I am thinking to take the router to work and see if it works there or if the problem follows.. i hope it doesn't follow me.
CeaSaR

Re: Router issue ( boot loop ) keeps resetting.

Post by CeaSaR »

I see you can use the old router just fine, so it's not necessarily the Internet connection. (That's another story that I think I told a long while back) Did you try to connect to the Amped router with other devices to rule out the main connected device? Can you connect to the Amped device without it being plugged into the internet (ie, just plugged into the power adapter)?
Hey, what do I know?
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

if i just have the router plugged in alone, with nothing else connected. it's doing it still...nothing i try seems to isolate them...
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

What's the TIMEOUT set to? It may need to be increased.

Were there any updates that may have caused the problem?

For all you know, it may be on your internet provider's end in that they may not be 100% compatible with your router.

My Story:
Way back when my kids were in school, we were not happy with the education choices available. When #1 was in Kindergarten, a "Brick and Mortar" Charter School was starting up. We switched him there. When #2 was old enough, she followed suit. By the time #1 was in 5th grade, the signs were there that the school was changing big time. So after 6th grade we yanked both out and put them in Cyber Charter School. That was when we HAD to get broadband internet. Since we already had Comcast for TV, we went with them. The Internet was good for about a year, then it started dropping out. Seems the cable was routed in such a way as to rub through on the side of the house. So they came out and re-strung / re-routed the cable. All was good for about 6 months.

Then it started.

The box that converted the cable to internet started randomly resetting itself, sometimes in the middle of the kids classes. This went on for about 3 years, with Comcast blaming it on everything they could think of on our end from old power wires in the walls to the wires they had just re-run through the house being "bad". They even changed out the box 3 times and did another cable re-run. (That's 3 for each!) I refuted all their claims toward me and when FIOS came knocking at my door, I couldn't sign fast enough! Comcast lost a 20+ year customer (I had the same service before Comcast bought out the previous company in town) and curiously enough, about 2 months after that I received an email from Comcast stating they were scheduling work in the area for some problems they found in their network (somewhere out along the road). Only took them 3 years to address the problem I was pointing them to all along!

And that's how my story relates to your dilemma.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

There's been no updates.. and my modem is fine, I've been using it for over 2 yrs now.
It is the router that is acting up,,,they are 2 separate items.
The router had been working just fine also..
I twisted my ankle last week, so i stayed out of work,, i will go back tomorrow, and i'll take the router with me to test it.. if it works there, then i'll know
that it has to be some kind of interference here. My old back up router ( linksys ) works just fine.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

Ok, I got to work today and fired up the router to see if the problem would follow, Well guess what? It didn't.
It's been sitting here idle for the last hour working just fine. i can connect to it with out issue now.
So i know now that something at the house has to be interfering with it.
Question now is what.. it can't be anything in my house, i have already shut down anything wireless in the house..so what ever it is, must be outside of the house..
Maybe a neighbor got some new service lately? No idea..
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Just wondering........

When you reconnected the Modem/Router, wired LAN to your computer at home.
Did you leave the RG-6U Cable coming into your home unconnected to the Modem/Router,
when checking if the computer could access the Modem/Router?

If you could access the Modem/Router.
Then I would agree that somewhere at the junction box, one or more the cables got assigned to your IP WAN address.
Thus, why you got that "IP Conflict" message.
In any case, you need to have a Cable Line Tech come out, and check it, and possibly re-assign you a new IP WAN address.

Signed: Janitor Tzap
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

i will do that next time if it happens again.
the modem and router are to separate items, not combined.
i could hard wire to the router just fine, and no issues. only the router was an issue.. so far so good, it has been behaving..