web outlook mystery ( AKA Hotmail ? )

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
dacflyer

web outlook mystery ( AKA Hotmail ? )

Post by dacflyer »

outlook mystery
co-worker has a mystery for you all to figure out..
for some reason he is not getting any emails sent to him, but he is getting sporadic junk mail. , but nothing addressed to him.
we have looked all thru the settings, and can't figure anything out. i looked on the web and some people had similar issues with other web mail type stuff, but nothing that we can use to fix his problem with. has anyone else had a issue with this ? or know how to fix this problem..

seems if he is logged in and sends a mail to himself,( from different email ) he gets mail. but if he is not logged in, he won't get the mail after logging back in.
dyarker

Re: web outlook mystery ( AKA Hotmail ? )

Post by dyarker »

Which is it, Outlook or Hotmail? Or, Outlook checking mail on a Hotmail account? Or2, do you mean Outlook.com, domain name for HotMail?

Outlook is an e-mail client program by Microsoft (often part of MS Office).

Hotmail is a web based e-mail service owned by Microsoft.

"Outlook" and "AKA HotMail" don't make any sense together unless it's Outlook.com.

Now please review line 1 questions again.

So which settings did you check? Outlook program, or Hotmail (at Outlook.com) server for co-worker on server?
Dale Y
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

he is using outlook.com, the reason i said hotmail, was because when i log on with my hotmail at work, it shows up as a outlook.com account,,
any way i went thru a bunch of his settings.. can't remember exactly what i did , but his email is working again now.. i told him he needs to turn off that TAP feature on his laptop. i think thats what causes a lot of his issues.. it does not explain where all the emails went, but he gets new email fine now..
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

I always go to the web based mail server if it is available to see if the messages are being dropped from there.
Also a great test is using these auto-responder sites. You send them an email, blank is fine but put something in the message subject box.
Once received, they send back an acknowledgement, within a very short time. Sending yourself an email from the same server can be misleading since different ports are used
for the server's inbound mail. These tests simulate the real world's handling of the message.
[email protected]
[email protected]

Hope this helps someone.
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

i am not 100% sure which setting it was, but it is fixed and working now,,
JimAxtell

Post by JimAxtell »

Unfortunately, sometimes earlier I had such problems also. My clients and friends emailed me and I didn't receive their messages. That is why I decided to use The Bat or Thunderbird for the emails. And, may be, it is better to change your email also.