router question...

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
dacflyer

router question...

Post by dacflyer »

if 2 laptops are connected to the same router, and the internet happens to go down..is there a way i can talk to the other computer to send a message / note ? just some sort of a simple text ?
or would it be too difficult to do ?
i'd like to be able to send like a pop up message of sorts...ex. ( hey the net will be down for a while, go take a break )

reason...neighbor shares my internet, so he may ask me what's the deal and i could reply...

any ideas that are not hard to implement ?
VernGraner

Re: router question...

Post by VernGraner »

dacflyer wrote:if 2 laptops are connected to the same router, and the internet happens to go down..is there a way i can talk to the other computer to send a message / note ? just some sort of a simple text ?
or would it be too difficult to do ? i'd like to be able to send like a pop up message of sorts...ex. ( hey the net will be down for a while, go take a break )

reason...neighbor shares my internet, so he may ask me what's the deal and i could reply...

any ideas that are not hard to implement ?
From Windows XP service pack 1 and older versions of Windows, there was a command that could be used to send messages to computers connected on a Windows network. The command was "NET SEND" and it would pop a little window with a message on the targeted machine.

This command was disabled on Windows XP after Service pack 2 and all newer versions of Windows. So, depending on the version of Windows, you would use "NET SEND" (if you and your neighbor are on Windows XP Service pack1 or older) or "MSG" command for newer machines. Details on how you enable and use message commands for Windows is here:

http://www.technipages.com/windows-enab ... d-commands

I used this syntax on my Windows 10 machine:

Code: Select all

C:\Users\vern>msg vern This is a test of the MSG service. Hi DACFLYER! :)
and got the attached pop-up on my desktop.

Hope this helps. :)

Vern
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (3.68 KiB) Viewed 11228 times
--
Vern Graner
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

I was going to suggest netsend, but like you said, that was disabled long ago. Besides, you would actually have to both belong to the same network. That is not the same as sharing a router. To do that, you would have to create a network on one of the computers and then add the other one, then you'd both have to log on. Let me dig around, I'm sure there's something out there.

Hey Vern, at the bottom of your post, under your name, in red, was this:
"You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post."
and there was no attached screenshot. Yes, I am logged in.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
VernGraner

Post by VernGraner »

CeaSaR wrote:I was going to suggest netsend, but like you said, that was disabled long ago. Besides, you would actually have to both belong to the same network. That is not the same as sharing a router. To do that, you would have to create a network on one of the computers and then add the other one, then you'd both have to log on.
True- however there might be additional advantages to setting up both machines as members of the same "workgroup". For starters you could share things like music archives, printers, photos etc. Also, I don't think you can even get to a desktop without logging in on anything based on Windows NT technology. Even if the machine is dropping you directly to the desktop it is doing so by logging you in as a user without a password- but you *are* being logged in anyways. :)
Let me dig around, I'm sure there's something out there.
Might be simpler / more reliable to use a cell phone to SMS text the other person rather than count on their computer being up and the message getting through. :)
Hey Vern, at the bottom of your post, under your name, in red, was this:
"You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post."
and there was no attached screenshot. Yes, I am logged in.
Hrm.. interesting. I will have to take a look at permissions. If you are logged in you should see that. In the meantime, here is what the image was:

:)

Vern
--
Vern Graner
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

That one I see. :)

As for the comm... I was thinking of suggesting a pair of FRS band radios modified to run off USB power - most nowadays are 4.5 volt (3 batteries, AA or AAA) set to a clear channel for your area. A latching indicator tied to the speaker output would serve notice if you weren't directly available.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

sounds a bit more complicated that i thought.. net send would be fine, if i sent a message and it popped up on his desktop.
but i do not want to set up a network.. i guess just calling him on a cell is probably the easiest way to go..
thanks anyway.